Monday, October 5, 2009

Day One for this Clydesdale!

Okay, in reality...this isn't my first day of cycling. I actually started in May of 2009 and have ridden a few times per week ever since. I have seen improvement in my strength and stamina, but am very much a beginner and want to increase my ability.

Secondly, I am likely too big to even classify as a Clydesdale rider. I don't think Clydesdales wimp out as often as I want to...I have read some blogs or comments from "Clydes" where they talk about riding in competitive races, doing 3-hour rides, etc. I'm not there yet.

My typical rides are only about 13 miles in a one hour period. This weekend, I will ride 90 minutes and will record the distance (18 miles?). That would be my longest ride to date.

All of this is in preparation for my big goal for this year: to ride the 35-mile route of El Tour de Tucson on 11.21.09. This will be my first race, EVER. Easy for many people, but it will be a major event for me.

So, why do the blog? I am new to blogging as well, but I really want to improve my health by bicycling and thought that the blog could be an interesting way to document the process. Sadly, I have started other exercise programs before and quit, which is why I need to lose the weight! But for many reasons, cycling could be so great for me and I have a great family and a lot of friends who are encouraging me along the way.

To all of you, I hope this is interesting to you in some way. If you have advice, encouragement or questions, I welcome them. Should be a good ride.

Big Clyde

1 comment:

Julie said...

I had to go back to the beginning and see what all this biking and such was about. I'm a very beginner on biking. I really turly hate biking but I know it's good for me so I'm working at it. This month I am doing a 20 day ride. Just 20 days of getting on my bike riding. I'm not doing miles yet, maybe next month, right now it's just getting and going.
I'm going to jump around a bit and read some more. I know I've been here before but for some reason tonight your blog is speaking to me so I'm listening.
Take care and have a blesesd evening.