Friday, November 27, 2009

The Year-End Weight Loss Challenge (thanks to Cycling Phun!)



I have joined the guys at cyclingphun.blogspot.com in an end-of-the-year weight loss challenge.   I follow that blog and Phun challenged any readers to commit to some goal for year-end.  I hope that Phun is cool with me sharing the idea to those of you following here.  He has been very encouraging and welcoming to me.

I am in to lose 10 pounds by 1/1/10 (most are doing this goal).  So, I would like to widen the circle and see if any of you would like to join in on this.  You can check in on this blog, or go over to the link above and leave a comment with your goal. 

So, if you want to join in, just leave a comment with your goal of weight loss, mileage, fitness activity, etc. (no need to disclose your weight, etc.).  Then, once a week (on Fridays), I'll mention my progress, struggles, etc. and you can comment with your progress.  This could be a fun way to set a goal, have some semi-anonymous accountability and make some progress around the holidays. 

Who's in?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

clyde, I am in. I am 38 yrs old. I am picking up riding to get myself back in shape. I am 238 lbs. I want to lose 25 lbs and do a century in june 2010. Let me know if you want to keep tabs on each other. I like the idea of reporting weekly on exercise and wt loss goals. I am sure if someone else is out there pounding the pavement I the guilt will help motivate me. awang13@gmail.com

Big Clyde said...

Great! What should we call you? Also, what is your goal for year-end (is it 25lbs)? I think your century goal is great. People have posted great comments here that can help to motivate you (and me).

Clyde

Anonymous said...

I think I have eaten too much over the past 7-10 days. I only weigh once every 4-6 weeks, so I'm not sure if I'm up or down on my weight. I do know that my pants are still fitting fine and my belt buckle is in the same hole. But, to get back on track and continue to lose, I'm going to start exercising. Walking is all I plan to do.

I'll weigh tomorrow morning (stark raving naked), then start my walking. Regardless of what I weigh, I will commit to be at 206 pounds by January 1st. The last time I weighed (about two weeks ago, I was 212. I'll watch my portions, carefully choose what to stick in my mouth, and walk. In the past 12-15 months, I've lost over 70 pounds by eliminating ice cream, candy, nuts, second helpings, better portion control. No exercise! I feel very good right now, but can see myself losing another 20 pounds. That would put me at about what I weighed when I was in my 20's. I'm now a 69 year old guy with some flabby skin under my biceps, some fat globs under my armpits, little wrinkles on my inner thighs, but I look pretty good in my clothes, my backaches have stopped, no more acid reflex at night, no nightly Alka Seltzer, easier to cut my toenails and tie my shoes.

Whoever reads this should take note that it doesn't take a "program" to lose weight, just cut out a few bad habits, eat more veggies and fruit, and smaller portions. The weight loss will give you the motivation to stay with it. Now, I don't even think about it. I just keep slowly losing every time I step on the scales. And don't weight every day or every week. Just eat better and the weight will come off. I don't even think about losing more weight, it just happens when you eat healthier. :)

Big Wind (from the north)

tedryx said...

"Neigh"bor Ted is in to lose 12 lbs by year end. This is not an attempt to overshoot you. I just want to get back to my 2008 low and this s what I need to do to get there.

I am now a lifelong follower of this site.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Re: Big Wind's comments posted Nov 30th at 8:49 PM:

I weighed this morning (Dec 1st) and found that I have lost another 2 pounds. So, at 210 this morning, I commit to weigh 204 by the end of this month. I'll walk and continue to watch my intake. I hope everyone makes their goal.

Big Wind

Big Clyde said...

Big Wind is en fuego! Losing 70 pounds over the past 12-15 months is tremendous! Keep it up! Thanks for the good advice.

We'll all report in for an update on Friday.