Monday, January 25, 2010

100 Miles in Five Days?!? Day 3 = Couch to 5K

...And now for something completely different. 

I did not ride today.  After a full workday and a rare weeknight dinner with the family, I wasn't able to workout until about 7:45pm.  I just couldn't bring myself to get on that bike (on the indoor trainer) and didn't want to ride for an hour or more in the dark. 

But I knew that I had to burn some calories...third day in a row.  I had read recently about the "Couch to 5K" program and wondered if I was even able to jog.  My last jog might have been about 20 years ago.  The first week of the program includes a 3x/week routine of 30 minutes of alternating between walking and jogging.  I did it, it was fun and a good aerobic workout for me, even though it was only 30 minutes.
We'll see how the knees and feet feel soon.

I'm not sure yet if I will try to convert these walking/running miles into equivalent "cycling" miles.  I have heard that some studies compare the workouts like this:  4 cycling miles = 1 jogging mile.  I'm sure there are many theories.  I don't have an opinion, other than I think this 30 minutes did in fact seem close to the workout of a one hour bike ride for me.   My standard cycling pace is about 13 mph.   If I had to pick a number of "cycling miles" tonight for my 30 minute jog/walk, I'd pick 9 miles.  Is that a cop-out?

I just want to claim some credit for my sweaty workout.  What are your thoughts?

Big Clyde

4 comments:

RockStarTri said...

Soon you'll be thinking triathlons!

On a more serious note, there is an ongoing debate on which is a better tracker of exercise: time or distance. Neither work alone since they need intensity along side them (go up and mountain and down a mountain - same distance with much difference effort). I wouldn't try to equate running mileage to cycling but you may want to track your running time/mileage separately.

Good job, though, getting the work in. It all adds up in the end.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I agree with rockstar, right now its about getting the work in, worry about oll the other stuff later on, the more you invest, the easier it will be.

Sean Anderson said...

I started doing the intervals walking/jogging somewhere around 330 or so. I'm 6'3, so we have similar body types. It's tough, very tough. I'm still trying to get use to the jogging...it's certainly something I will continue. I think you're doing great. I wouldn't over analyze things. When we start making it complicated or try to figure out every detail---it can lead to negative emotions. You're completely on the right track---just move like you do, and the wonderful transformation of you continues!

My best always
Sean

Larry said...

If you're not on the couch, if you aren't putting bad food into your mouth, if you are outside, moving, riding, walking, jogging, or somersaulting, then it counts, big man!

A man I know - multi-degree blackbelt in judo and BJJ, does Iron Man triathlons, etc, etc. - once told me that the biggest reason people don't follow through on exercise programs is because they try to do too much too soon. His theory is JUST DO SOMETHING. Be it a five-minute walk, a thirty-minute jog, an hour ride... or three push ups. Or one push up.

Just do SOMETHING.

Give yourself 10 miles toward our goal because you did something.

It is snowing here today and I have no indoor trainer. But I will do push ups and sit ups today - as many as I can. For you. Because you chose NOT to sit on the couch. You chose NOT to give up.

Keep riding. Keep walking.

Control the beast.

God is smiling.