Tuesday, January 26, 2010

100 Miles in Five Days! Day 4 = 15 miles

Thanks for the great support regarding my run last night (really a walk/jog).  It was a good workout and surprisingly more enjoyable and even easier than I thought it would be.  I did add it to my week, because I feel I got as much of an aerobic workout as I did on longer rides.

Today (Tues), I worked out in the evening by riding 15 miles on my trainer. For those of you who aren't too familiar with cycling, a trainer is basically a small stand (which my kids call the Cyclops), that turns my bike (which Neighbor Ted calls the HUCC-B), into a stationary bike.

That seems so crazy! My "inexpensive" bike ($600) + the Cycle Ops 2 trainer ($225) = the same type of fitness machine that my grandma used in the 1970's.

This is why the terrorists hate us! I've spent a lot of money in order to pretend to ride a bike indoors, because it's kinda cold outside and I like to watch tv when I am pretending to ride a bike.

But I turned those pedals and sweated up a storm tonight. 

Mark it, Dude.

P.S.  For those of you who read about my friend, Doug, I have a great update!  His surgery was last week and he received definitive results that he is entirely cancer-free now!   I saw him today and he now just has to recover from an 8" chest incision (actually on three different tissue levels), so he'll be back at work in a week or two.  Chances of recurrence are high, but now that they know what to look for, they can spot this type of cancer quickly and kill it again.   God is good (and so is the Mayo Clinic).

2 comments:

Larry said...

Hooray for Doug! We'll keep praying.

As for the "Great Mexican Murder 100" alas, BC, I am going to fall short. I managed just six push ups and 14 sit ups in your honor. Today the sky is clear, but there's still snow on the prairie and I'm pretty sure I cannot ride over 50 miles in one day.

I am sorry I let you down. I honestly did want to ride the 100 with you. I will do my best today. I will ride as long and as far as I can.

And as you're flying down to Pinata Town, know that I will keep riding. For me. For you. For the little brown-eyed buck on his way home to his wife and child when he turns his antlers, thinking, "What was that sound?"

Always. Be. Riding.

Best of luck with Paco and Jose. Please don't get shot.

Keep riding.

Control the beast.

Big Clyde said...

Larry, congrats on your effort! Can't remember the last time I did one push-up...you did 6! I'm also pretty sure that I would find other exercises to do if I were on the snow-covered prairie.

You didn't let me down. On the contrary, you motivated me to put in more effort than I likely would have otherwise. I have more energy now and will do more today and when I return.

I'll post later today.

No animals were harmed in the writing of this post.