Monday, February 15, 2010

Music Monday: Top 6 Cover Songs, Better Than The Original

You know the songs, but do you know the not-as-famous, but-much-better versions???
  1. ...Baby One More Time, by Bowling For Soup (originally by Britney Spears)
  2. I Will Survive, by Cake (originally by Gloria Gaynor)
  3. We Can Work It Out, by Stevie Wonder (originally by The Beatles)
  4. Sledgehammer, by Dave Matthews Band (originally by Peter Gabriel)
  5. Come On Eileen, by Save Ferris (originally by Dexys Midnight Runners)
  6. Smooth Criminal, by Alien Ant Farm (originally by Michael Jackson)
Check them out.  Also, give me your list of best cover songs. 

By the way, I've decided not to link to YouTube for these vids because they often have bad language in the comments section, that are beyond my control.   Regardless, please find the music on iTunes, YouTube or wherever and give it a spin.

Big Clyde

7 comments:

Larry said...

Jimi's cover of Bob.

'Nuff said.

midlife_swimmer said...

Lords of the New Church's version of Madonnas like a virgin... pure genius!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1DsD0_cHaQ

Big Clyde said...

Larry: I just bought my first Jimi Hendrix song! I have long been a fan of Bob Dylan, but Jimi killed on "Like a Rolling Stone" and looked cool doing it! Thanks for the tip.

Swimmer: Um, wow...it didn't grab me, but it's got some awesome energy (could be that I can't stand anything from Madonna!). Thanks for jumping in. I love learning about bands that are new to me.

Larry said...

I knew you'd love it, and grab the right one. Most people go immediately to All Along the Watchtower, which is good, but ...Rolling Stone is amazing.

Jimi called Dylan "the greatest musical gift God ever gave his people."

Hard to argue.

tedryx said...

Also - All Along the Watchtower by Jimi - another Dylan song.

Have a Cigar by Primus (Pink Floyd) no one can beat Floyd, but this is a great cover.

Easy by Faith No More (Lionel Ritchie)

Red Hot Chili Peppers' version of Higher Ground.

all great to listen to.....

Susietri said...

K.D. Lang singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" at the Olympic opening ceremonies just last Friday.

CactusFreek said...

Alien ant farms smooth criminal was definatly better than the original!
I don't think i've heard the others you mentioned. Allthough i can't imagine that Britney song sounding great by anyone!
What about Limp Bizkits Behind blue eyes? That was pretty good too!
Funky town by Psuedo Echo?
I'll have to go away and think about this now....