Thursday, March 25, 2010

Eating A Little (or is it TOO little?)

Not much to say this week, other than I have been very diligent on my calorie intake.  Just as some suggested, I have found foods that I like (and that fit into my schedule) that are low-calorie.  In the first week, I stayed pretty close to the range of 1,700 to 1,900 calories, but at times used some "bad foods" (w/no nutritional content) to get there.

Over the past week (wk 3-4), I have been actually trying to think what food type would be best for me (proteins, fruits, veggies, etc.).  I am also bringing my daily average down to around 1,600 calories per day.  I am likely missing out on some fats and grains, and need more veggies.   But I am experimenting right now and am interested in a healthy, but aggressive loss.  I have not felt a loss in energy due to the lower calorie intake...likely because I used to eat unhealthy foods in high calories...so many of those cals weren't really helping me either.

My question to you out there:  how will I know if I am eating TOO FEW calories?   I'd rather not find out on Monday (weekly weigh-in day).  What do you think?

Finally, just for fun, I am attaching the newest Geico commercial because it basically makes our entire family laugh everytime we see it.  Hope you enjoy it as well.

8 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

When you feel fatigue or start gaining weight is indicators of too little food.

Twice the Man said...

Here is a dirty little secret and I know just about everyone will tell you I am wrong but you do not get fatter by having too few calories over time.

From MSNs 10 Myths about Weight Loss

"It's become common wisdom that depriving yourself of food—aka dieting—puts you into "starvation mode," in which you burn fewer calories because your body needs to hold on to what little nutrition it's getting; over time, the theory goes, your metabolism slows down for good. But "while extreme low-calorie diets do temporarily lower your metabolism, the effects don't last," Snyderman says. Researchers in Canada compared the resting metabolic rates of women who'd yo-yo dieted for an average of 18 years with what their metabolism should be for their height, weight and age—and found no difference in 92 percent of the subjects. "Yo-yo diets don't hurt you, but they do frustrate you because they mean you haven't found the right way to keep the weight off," says Snyderman."

I am not saying starve, but let be honest people our ancestor ate little often and got no where near our size and had engery to work hard labor.

Joe In KC said...

For me personally I know I would get to feeling very sick and lethargic if I were to eat too little. How little that is would depend on the person, but I would venture a guess that if you are eating anywhere from 1500-2000 calories a day, you should be fine. Now if you are exercising at a very intense pace, high protein meals can provide you with the energy needed to get through the day. Just my two cents though. Everyone is a bit different, so just find a calorie count that you are comfortable with. (not that you haven't heard that before)
And by the way, thanks, for reading and commenting on my blog. I think you were right on with your last comment.

Joe

midlife_swimmer said...

I need more when I workout more. I can feel it and I adjust and pay attention to my body now. If it is a day I worked out hard and tore down some muscle tissue I will add 200-300 calories usually of protein afterward sometimes and extra piece of fruit beforehand on non workout days I drop my amounts whenever possible a couple hundred or so...

Tricia said...

lol...yeah that commercial is funny

RockStarTri said...

When I eat too little, I get nasty, tired, intolerant of morons and my workouts suffer. Lately I also get cold.

Of course, some morons say I'm always nasty. :)

Tricia said...

If you find some answers, let me know. I'm currently trying to stay around 1500 calories a day so I can lose about 2 pounds a week. Some days I think there's no way that's enough for someone my size. But then I realize I'm probably just trying to rationalize over-eating. I haven't been hungry or anything, so I'll stay with it and see how it goes. It's only been 3 weeks, so it's too early to tell.

CactusFreek said...

Apparently, if you eat under your recommended calorie allowance, your body takes it's energy from your lean muscle mass. You'll lose weight [maybe] but do your body long term damage.