Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tour de Cure - My First Race with My Boy!

Last Sunday, I rode in the Tour de Cure for the American Diabetes Association.  I was especially proud to ride with my son, known here as Samson (looking cool after the race!).

We committed to do the 30k, which would be about 18+ miles and raised over $200 in donations!
This was a big ride for Samson, because it was his first ride and he had not ridden more than 7 miles in one stretch, but we both knew he could do it.

The weather report on Saturday forecasted rain and wind.  I thought that our check-in time for the 30k route was 9:30, but when we got there we found that the 30k race had already started much earlier, so we were the last to check-in.  The route was entirely flat and we were solid for the first 3 miles.  Then, we made the turn to get on Old Nogales Hwy, which was going to be about an 9 mile stretch, totally flat.  But the wind was strong that day, my friends!  According to http://www.weather.com/, the weather was "Cloudy and windy. Temperatures slowly falling to near 49F. Winds SW at 20 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 85%." 

I was so proud of my boy!  The winds were so strong that there were times when I wondered if he could stay upright (but I didn't tell him that)!   We stopped a few times to take a break from the wind and question if Samson wanted to keep going.  But, he is a fighter and wanted to keep going.  After cycling for over an hour into 20 mph headwinds, a race marshall pulled up and said that they were encouraging riders to turn around and head back...the rain was coming, which made car drivers more distracted, conditions more difficult and dangerous, etc.  So, we headed back.  We completed 12 miles and it began raining as we were packing up.  Riders (from the longer route) were still coming in as they were taking down the booths.  If we'd started sooner, I bet we would have ridden all 18 miles (30k), but we were still pleased to have done this together.

A great day for us both, money raised for diabetes (more on that soon) and it made me want to get back to riding after a two week absence.

4 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

CONGRATS!!!!! That is so cool!!

RockStarTri said...

Well done (both you and Samson). I've been in Tucson when it rained - ain't pretty. You chose wisely.

But....two weeks???

Losing Harry said...

Exercising, spending time with your son, and raising money for a great cause...sounds like the recipe for a great day.

midlife_swimmer said...

congrats and what a great cause... I know a boy a lil older than Sampson that I used to take care of in my daycare for 4 years. He has had type 1 diabetes since he was 17 months old. Lets hope someday there is a cure!