Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Italian Wisdom on Cycling?

(I am heading out of town for an overnight company event.  Fancy hotel, great food, and cookies at all of the seminar meetings.  And yet, I am guessing that I will overcome these temptations very well!  I guess we'll see soon enough.  Have a good few days everyone!)

I heard this great quote...okay actually, it was just a paraphrasing of a great quote that apparently is popular among Italian cyclists.  I am going to butcher it, but it goes something like this:

"It is easier to buy a lighter bike, than to become a lighter cyclist."

I thought of this quote while cycling in the Tour of the Tucson Mountains race last week.  Having not ridden my bike much recently, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much MORE I enjoyed this ride, given that I weighed about 25 pounds less than I had a two months earlier.  About six months ago, I had blogged about how my bike was too heavy, how it was a "commuter" bike that wasn't really built for speed and that maybe I had chosen the wrong model.  I was proving the Italians right.  Clearly, I was the one who was not "built for speed".

But now, I am a lighter cyclist (though still an impressively large-sized Clydesdale!) and the ride was better.  More fun!  It reminded me of how much I liked it...the whole cycling culture.  There were people there of all ages, shapes and abilities.  If the other cyclists were like me, they were just focused on turning the pedals and at the right moment, catching that person up ahead.

I am renewing my commitment here to get back to exercise.  My "nutrition-alone" method of weight loss has been great for the past two months.  It has been fun to see the weight come off and I have learned a lot.  I think I have actually transitioned from a "new diet" into a habit and a new lifestyle.

But I love cycling, even at my newbie level.  It is fun, challenging, I can do it with my family and can also compete enough to get my tail kicked now and then.  And now, I have friends and my family joining me in some upcoming races. 

Time to get back on the bike consistently and get some miles behind me. 

By Sunday night, I'll post new mileage goals that will begin in May.  Please follow along to see how I'm doing.

Keep riding everyone!

Big Clyde

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm glad to hear you'll be joining me in being more active! Have a great trip :)

Matty O said...

Great adjustment! My wife told me the goal is calories burned over calories eaten :) Seems simple enough right haha (I wish).

Good luck with the seminar... I fail miserably with temptations!

CinciMom11 said...

May you eat well on your trip. That's great you're enjoying cycling more now that you've lost weight! Congrats on making a lifestyle change and not just following a diet!

Miss S. said...

Isn't it all about finding something you love? yeah for biking!!

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I love your profile picture-it made me laugh out loud.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Great job, I was thinking, and I am offering a suggestion or reward you can treat yourself with. Maybe if you hit 75 pounds lost, trade in your hybrid for a roadie and join the Cactus cycling club and has some fun riding. Just a thought

Al (losingharry) said...

I'm with you 100%...it has been almost a weeks since I've been on the stationary.

You are doing great!

Susietri said...

It is the culture, isn't it. Everytime I go to a race I'm struck by how the heck did I not know all this existed...and then I get all choked up because it's all so wonderful.