Monday, April 26, 2010

Weigh In - Week 8

Weight Change:  Gained 1 pound


Total Loss since 3/1/10:  21 pounds


Today, I'm feeling:  Surprised and a bit frustrated, but knew that this was bound to happen.

Here's what happened last week:

After a loss of 2 pounds last week, I committed to myself (and all of you) that I would strive for a 3 pound loss at today's weigh-in.  I even weighed-in on Saturday morning for the MayDay Challenge and found that I had lost those three pounds.  I ate well on Saturday and did a 28-mile bike race on Sunday, where I probably burned about 1,000 calories and had to eat the calorie shot-blocks during the race.  Maybe it somehow messed me up (or at least my digestion).  Anyway, I am up, which is a bummer, but I think it is a weird timing thing and I'll be back down within a day or two.   Any ideas or advice for me on this one???


Food:  I ate very well this week, averaging just under 1,700 calories per day, except for "Dark Monday" (see below). I had a great week for my nutrition and even stepped up my exercise.  Getting smarter (and faster and cheaper) at preparing my daily food, which is making all of this easier!  My diet involves a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, egg whites, grilled chicken and lunchmeat and even Subway sandwiches (no cheese, low-cal dressings), turkey jerky, soup, and rarely cereal or oatmeal.  I've also started having some sushi (pretty light in calories, surprisingly) and some sorbet.

Liquids: Tons of water, quite a bit of the Lipton Diet Green Tea with Citrus. This keeps it all moving and energy levels up. Coffee everyday.  Will likely get some Grey Goose vodka this week, but I usually only have about 1 shot per week.

Exercise:  Twice this week, my wife suggested I just "walk home" from the nearby grocery store to help me get in some additional quick exercise.  Also, I raced in the Tour of the Tucson Mountains (see re-cap soon). 

Confessional: "Dark Monday".  See last week's weigh-in post to get more detail, but I have a habit of treating myself to some sloppy eating on Monday, after my weigh-in.  I tried to be a bit more reasonable this week with some Doritos and cheese...but had too much at one meal.  I think my body is no longer used to this food, because it just dragged me down for about two days, feeling like a brick in my belly.  I ate veggies and lean foods during those days and recovered, but learned the lesson that I just don't enjoy these foods as much anymore.

Weight Loss Highlight of the Week:  My cycling jersey (yes, that spandex type) fit much better than it did during my two races earlier this year.  Someday, I may even feel decent wearing this tight thing.

My Goals for this Week:
  • Losing 5 pounds now by Saturday, to accomplish my goal for the MayDay Challenge.
  • Maintain a daily calorie budget of 1,700 or less
  • Exercise at least 4 times this week (walking or cycling).
Have a good week everyone!

Big Clyde

10 comments:

Sharon said...

Keep up the good work and that 1 lb will be gone by Saturday. Looking forward to hearing about the race. Hope you took pictures!

CinciMom11 said...

Could your sore muscles be retaining water from that monster bike ride? I weighed myself this morning, and I'm down two pounds from yesterday's weigh-in. I agree with you: your gain could be a timing thing. Don't stress!

It sounds like you had a great week! You even learned a little from your overindulgence on Monday. Congrats on the better-fitting jersey. That must feel great! Would biking to and from the grocery be an option?

Funny: I just noticed you need to lose five pounds by Saturday because of Today's crappy weigh-in. I have to lose five by Sunday to meet my goal. Five is a lot! Let's kick things up and do this!!! :)

TJ said...

I know that scale can be an enemy to us on occasion. Sometimes all of the exercise needs to catch up to our bodies. Keep up the great work!

Massive Marcus said...

I am betting it's mostly fluids that you drank during and after your race.

Keep diligent and on track till Saturday and I think the scale will be a lot nicer to you.

Michael said...

I am a big believer in having one day where you can eat what you want, but keep the portion sizes smaller.

When I was losing my weight, I allowed myself one night out for dinner with my wife. We would still go to the same places, but we started to share a lot of our meals so I wasn't taking in huge calories.

That pound will be a flash in the pan. Keep up the good work.

Big Clyde said...

Good feedback and encouragement, everyone. Thank you.

Does anyone have any short-term strategies to make certain that I get back to my Saturday morning weight (which was 4 pounds less)? I want to drop this asap.

Sue said...

check out trainermomma.blogspot.com -- she has some awesome tips on what to do when you hit a plateau.. For me drinking water only...with interval training, it could be with running, or with biking! You have what it takes...it is just frustrating some days...

Matty O said...

BC- I have found this to be frustrating... you cannot make sense of what the scale is telling you!!! NO WORRIES! Your weight will fluctuate, and its not always going to go down. The more cycling you are doing I am assuming you are putting some muscle on those legs of yours (even with the walking).

When we were dieting we kept logs of our weights and we would bounce. If you want to lose weight quick, cut the fluids... All this does though is give you the number you want to see though... you are doing everything else right and just have to put this week behind you as a speed bump.

Keep up the good work man!

Jennifer said...

Dude!! I just read the last few posts. First; you rock! Great work on the bike. Flipping awesome. Second; Grey Goose - I love that stuff! I agree with the above comment regarding muscles holding in the fluids after being worked hard. Just a speed bump like Matty O. said. The big picture is shaping up, keep focused on that. Your posts are always great - humble, inspiring, honest - things that are sometimes hard to find in the world.

ThatNoiseInYourEar said...

Been following your blog for sometime now. Nice work on the life changes and the weight loss. Your story is inspiring to many, obvious by the comments and the followers. Yeah, what you are experiencing is simply the physics of your physiology. Fluid movement, release and retention. Do not focus on it. Its natural. If you want to lose a bunch of false weight by Saturday simply quit drinking water. Just dehydrate yourself and you will make weight. Of course, this method may not be as rewarding as doing it by remaining true to your life style changes which include the amount of water you are taking in daily. The more consistent you hydrate the more your overall water retention will stabilize and essentially not be a factor in your weight gain/loss. As you continue to exercise and eat better you will encounter plateaus. Exercise will build lean muscle (heavier than body fat); proper eating and exercise will cause the fat to fade. In this scenario you may experience times when your increase in lean muscle exceeds the amount of fat loss, thus seemingly gaining weight. But lean muscle building has its plateaus as well so the weight gain is fleeting. To quote Heath Ledger in The Patriot - "Stay the course" Big Clyde. You're doing awesome.