Friday, April 23, 2010

What I Eat Now (My Healthy Choices)

Okay, I've had two long posts recently on food and this one will by my last on this topic for awhile...but it will also be long.  Consider this the final chapter in the Big Clyde's Food Trilogy.  Granted, some introspection is useful, but I'm ready to focus my time (and this blog) on more positive things, like my upcoming race this weekend (more on that later!).

So, since March 1st, this is a pretty accurate list of the types of food I eat every day.  When I am at a restaurant or friend's house, I just choose well (thanks to the nutritional information cards and the internet...just like you, Matty O!) and if need be, eat lighter on my next few meals.  Other than 1-2 times per week, I tend to stay right around 1,700 calories at least 5 days per week.  I think it is a good blend of fruits, veggies, egg whites, some cheese and turkey, chicken or ham and a little bit of bread.

If ANY of you have recommendations on specific types of foods that I might be missing, please let me know.

Breakfast (about 415 calories)

4 egg whites (70 calories)
mushrooms, asparagus, and/or jalapenos (40 calories)
grilled chicken or turkey pepperoni slices (85 calories)
1 serving of string cheese (80 calories)
1 banana or apple (90 calories)
Half and Half cream for my coffee (50 calories)
(Alternates:  3/4 cup of cereal with non-fat milk + banana)

Lunch (about 600 calories)

1 Subway foot-long Ham sandwich (580 calories)
(w/o cheese, but add tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, and fat free red wine vinegar dressing - 20 cal.)
(Alternates: homemade sandwich; 2 slices of Hawaiian thin-crust pizza)

Dinner (about 445 calories)

1 can of Campbell's Healthy Request Chicken Gumbo soup (280 cal.)
1 string cheese (80 cal.)
1 chicken or turkey pepperoni (85 cal.)

Snacks (about 265 calories)

1 apple - (85 cal.)
Rice Cakes - (80 cal.)
1 Yoplait fat-free yogurt (100 cal.)
(Alternates: 5 prunes; Turkey Jerky; sliced carrots, gelato)

Total = 1,725 calories

Some final comments:
  • I drink a lot of water and tea...and I drink a 4-shot espresso every day (and I have done this for about 12 years now). 
  • I am NEVER hungry, but never grossly bloated either.  It is awesome.
  • I LOVE eating fruit now (I never really have before).   Strange days indeed.
  • One key thing that keeps me on-track is that I track my daily foods on http://www.sparkpeople.com/.
  • Another key thing for me is to have the stuff I need at home, which means I tend to buy my groceries often.  I mostly buy fruit, vegetables, chicken, eggs and milk.  MY FOOD NOW IS SO MUCH CHEAPER THAN MY JUNK FOOD LIFESTYLE!
  • One way for me to speed up making that breakfast (almost every day) is to cut my veggies about twice a week and keep them in tupperware in the fridge.  That way, I can crack the eggs, throw the veggies in and have a huge, protein and vitamin-filled breakfast on my plate in about 5 minutes. 
  • I try to eat most of my calories at lunch.  Mostly, my plan is to have a lighter dinner and not eat anything after about 8pm at night.  I'd rather eat heavier during the day, when I can still burn calories just by moving.  To load up at dinner and at night means that it will just sit in my body when I am not even moving... not a good plan.
  • I know that all of this might make me seem like some unrealistic, Martha Stewart-type, prima-donna, type of guy.  Especially when I am blathering on about eating fruit and cutting my own veggies.  I understand if my enthusiasm seems a bit obnoxious, but I am being totally honest here.  I am a caveman and this IS my first rodeo in terms of eating healthy foods.  I am only two months in and have a long way to go, but I am not struggling and will likely keep going until I weigh as much as your little sister.
To my future self (Big Clyde of the Future):  if you, Big Clyde, are reading this in December of 2010 and have gained back all of your weight (plus 50 more pounds), then put the donut-burger down and read this post from top to bottom and get back to eating healthy foods.  You did it once, Big Boy, and it is pretty easy...you just have to start.  Go!

Thanks for the support everyone.  I would be 22 pounds heavier right now, if it weren't for all of you.

Big Clyde

8 comments:

Al (losingharry) said...

Sounds like a healthy, filling and delicious menu, Clyde. I am trying to get to that point too. I am considering making my dinner smaller and my breakfast and lunch bigger. I do know that the bigger dinner helps me not to snack at night.

You are doing awesome and I am glad that we are blogging buds. I am learning a lot from you.

Matty O said...

Right on! We are all over the egg whites as well. GREAT protein and low calories.

My wife is on spark people. She logs EVERY calorie haha. I yelled at her because she was consuming like 1400 calories/day but seeing your 1700/day number I feel better about my wife's caloric intake.

You are right on with your diet and goals. Doing it the "right" way. Keep up the awesome work you have been doing!!!

CinciMom11 said...

You are doing great! I love your enthusiasm, Martha! Haha :)

For your snacks, my only recommendation would be to add some protein. Obviously the yogurt is good. Of course Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt. Have you ever tried putting nut butter on your apple? I'll take half an apple with nut butter over a whole apple any day! I have a feeling nut butter is even good on rice cakes. Don't you love cheese sticks? I started buying them for my little boy, but now I eat a good portion of them! If you don't like nut butter, you could always try having some cheese with your apple.

Okay, I think I'm going to do a post on snacks now. Thanks for the inspiration!

You're doing great!

Massive Marcus said...

Doing great Clyde.

Add me to the list of egg white for breakfast bloggers. Protein is our friend for sure. Just like you I am also making more trips to the grocery store and cutting up stuff ahead of time.

This was a nice progression of posts on this topic.

Keep up the good work Clyde!

MM

Tricia said...

I love sparkpeople!

CactusFreek said...

That plan doesn't sound obnoxious at all. It sounds like good preperation, that's what. If we all prepared our food beforehand like that, we'd never have an excuse to eat badly.
Well done!
What about nuts and grains? Do you get those in?
The book, 'You are what you eat' by Gillian McKieth is awesome for knowing what foods fuel your body best. I couldn't live without that book!

Twon said...

Oh man, I save sooo much money not eating take out every night! It used to be ridiculous!! Enthusiasm is awesome! Foster it. And hopefully december you is thinner and has dieting down pact!

Sharon said...

That looks like a much healthier menu than you used to eat. You've made some big changes for the better!