Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What I Used To Eat...Not That Long Ago

I have moments every day lately, where I find that I am just amazed at the changes in my life:  my recent and steady weight loss, my food choices, my increased energy and my belief that this will be a permanent change.

So, I thought I would take a glance backward and compare what I did then vs. what I am doing now.  Today, I want to list out what I might normally have eaten at different meals.  I listed mostly fast food, because I ate out a lot and these were typical foods for me.  However, I rarely would have hit all of these food choices in the same day (but I might have been at these levels for 2 out of 3 meals per day).

So, without exaggeration or judgement, here is a list of what I ate on a typical day, prior to March 1st of this year.

Breakfast (about 700-750 calories)
BIG Bowl of cereal, like Honey Bunches of Oats with non-fat milk (635 calories)
Half and Half cream for my coffee (50 calories)
- or -
McDonald's Sausage McMuffin with Egg (450 calories)
w/McDonald's Breakfast Burrito (300 calories)

Lunch (about 1770 calories)
Arby's Turkey and Swiss Sandwich (720 calories)
Arby's Curley Fries - medium size (400 calories)
Arby's Jamocha Milkshake - large (650 calories)
- or -
McDonald's Double Cheeseburger (440)
McDonald's 3 Chocolate-Chip Cookies (480)
McDonald's large Strawberry Milkshake (840)

Dinner (about 1600 calories)
Pei Wei's Orange Chicken (1240)
- or -
Pizza Hut Meat Lover's Original Crust (1,960 for 4 slices)

Snack (about 500 calories)
Candy bars (420)
- or -
Baskin Robbins 2 scoops ice cream (550)

(Again, this doesn't represent an actual day, but it is pretty accurate for what I might have had at any given meal.  On some days, I might have these calorie levels.)

To be conservative, I would estimate that I ate approximately 4,000 calories per day.   It is shocking for me to see now, but I never measured it before and now measure my food daily.   No wonder might weight grew steadily every year.   Notice that I have almost no veggies or fruit and a tremendous amount of fat, calories and sugar.

I'm basically in shock now, so I'll sign off.  I'm a bit embarassed by this, but I realize that I am really feeling sad...for the choices I made.  I don't think it was because I was unhappy.  I simply love food and everything above was delicious.  But the excess weight, bloatedness, lack of flexibility and physical ability that it created was the horrible result of this love of food.  I am just choosing to love some new foods now (and less of them!).

In a day or so, I'll post what my daily food looks like since I started staying at a 1,700 daily calorie level. 

11 comments:

CactusFreek said...

Oh my freakin goodness! You were an eating machine!
You really are doing a fanmazing job now and should be proud of yourself :o)

Sharon said...

Whoa. Those are some pretty bad choices. Can't wait to see the next post.

Why do I crave a milkshake now? ;)

RockStarTri said...

Dude, you are making me hungry!

Matty O said...

Sounds like typical America there buddy! It is sad that this is accepted as a social norm anymore.

Congrats on sticking to your decision and making healthy choices, there are tasty healthy foods out there too ;)

Al (losingharry) said...

It's amazing how much we eat when we don't pay attention...and how shocking it is when we do.

Big Clyde said...

Matty, you are right in that most of those choices always seemed to me like an entree (sandwich), side (fries) and a milkshake...not an uncommon choice that you would see someone order in a movie or tv show. But, look how it adds up per meal. Add a few meals together and well, we can all do that math.

I am so glad that I learned from this blogging community that there are decent and easy choices to limit those calories and have weight just drop off.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Pizza Hut Meat Lover's Original Crust (1,960 for 4 slices)

ohhhh myyyy freakinnnnn goshhhhh!!!!

All meat is my favorite of all time, now I feel guilty even thinking about it.

Twice the Man said...

only 2 scoops I was doing half gallons. change is good.

CinciMom11 said...

Your sample menu looks way too familiar (especially the jamocha shake and curly fries). It's strange how easily the fruits and veggies disappear. I could go days without them and not even notice.

It's funny that we all come from such a similar place but make such different journeys to the same destination. Love it!

Massive Marcus said...

Clyde I know what you mean. I have binged and eaten things that would amount to 4000 calories in a single sitting. Like an entire KFC bucket to myself. Talk about disgusting and embarrassing.

For me it was a love of food but I am also an emotional eater. When things were not going well I drowned my problems with massive eating. Being overweight is a problem that would depress me and make me eat more. Classic vicious cycle. Learning to deal with and handle stress is key for me I think.

What I am learning now is that there is a lot of food out there that tastes better and is a lot better for you then anything you can get from a drive through window.

Keep pedaling Clyde
MM

Susietri said...

Please take this in the friendly spirit in which it is offered. You say that you loved food but there is no food in this list. What you loved is eating and that's a whole different thing.

I love food and sometimes I also just plain love eating - after races, loving it, during Ironman training, beyond loving it, but daily, gotta just love food, can't love eating.

Having said that, this series on what you ate and what you are now eating shows a wonderful sense of self knowledge - you haven't shrugged off blame on the food industry but you can see the power they have over all of us.

I feel honoured to see you on this journey.