Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mrs. Clyde's iTouch Challenge

The lovely Mrs. Clyde issued a challenge to your's truly last night. 

It began with me hinting for awhile that I would like to buy an iTouch...just because.  I mentioned how it would be more handy for me to check the blog, check your blogs!, log in my calories, track my...whatever, blah, blah, benefit, blah, convenience, blah, "more time with the family", blah, etc.  I think I ended it with "it's not like I buy a bunch of toys for myself", which was the wrong thing to say given that I bought a new bike in October (the much-loved HUCC-B!), then spent even more money to trick it out to my liking.
She was too classy to point out that her birthday and Mother's Day are this month, which will mark the one-year anniversary from the time when I told her that her gift was that we would go out together and buy her a new road bike!  Which would have been really nice, except we never did it.  She still has the butch 8-year-old Mongoose mountain bike that is built for off-roading...she never really wanted that present either.  Consequently, Mr. and Mrs. Clyde don't really ride bikes together.  It is what marriage counselors call a "strain on the relationship" that is not really healing.  I need to get on that...

But let's get back to me.  She does love me and loves me less now, thanks to my recent weight loss.  She said "okay big boy, if you can get to 280 pounds by Father's Day, then it is yours...you can get the iTouch".  She didn't have to add that if I fail, that request will go on that long-term, neglected wish list, probably for a long while and DEFINITELY behind her road bike! 

As for the goal, this might seem easy for some people.  But my exercise has been spotty lately.  My weight loss has been through better food choices, not a lot of sweat involved.  To increase my loss per week and make sure that I don't plateau, I'll really need to step it up.  This will be a serious stretch for me, because it will definitely get me out of my comfort zone and get me moving.

So, to get the iTouch, I will need to drop approx 20 pounds by Father's Day.  That is about 6 1/2 weeks away, or about 3 pounds per week.  Any advice or kick-in-the-tail accountability you want to throw my way would be much appreciated.

(Twon:  so, here is my goal for your challenge!  Thanks for firing us all up.)

Time to get busy.

Big Clyde

P.S.  I did a platform-stepping thing tonight for 30 minutes.  I haven't done that for awhile.

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Way to dangle the carrot in front of him, Mrs. Clyde :)

Clyde, you can do this. Keep up that daily exercise and good food choices. You'll get there.

Al (losingharry) said...

Piece of cake. You keep doing what you are doing and you'll have that iPod before you know it. The only recommendation I can make is to take your workout to the next level. if you are doing 30 minutes...do 35. You can do it!

Twon said...

Yay! I need to reward myself with expensive gifts! :) i may have personal challenge at some point that involves me saving money lol There's an iPhone in my future this summer!

Christine said...

Here's what's working for me:

* Eat small meals, 5-6 times per day. I typically only eat 150-calorie "meals" each time; you may need to increase that amount a little bit, but the concept is the same. Don't think of eating "meals" anymore -- you snack or graze, all day long!

* Obviously, choose healthy meals. I eat a ton of protein, which you should too if you're working out a lot. Don't be afraid to add a tiny dash of "bad" stuff like oil, butter, or cheese to a meal. A tiny dash is actually good for you. I personally like to have a small protein shake within 30 minutes following a workout.

* Water! 30 minutes before a meal chug a big glass of water. Then, during your meal, don't drink anything at all, and avoid drinking anything for an hour after your meal. Drinking while you're eating actually flushes the food out of your stomach, leaving you hungry sooner. So...drink before the meal, then skip liquids during the meal.

You're already doing exercise, so keep that up!

You can make your goal! Keep up the awesome work!

Big Clyde said...

Sharon, Al and Christine: my problem is that I haven't really been exercising much at all. I do my cycling sporadically (1x per week) and am taking more steps each day, but not enough to call it exercise.

No, I really need to do something daily or at least every other day. This will be something new to me, since I quit riding regularly a few months ago.

Tricia said...

you can do it! Pick an exercise and make that part of your day no matter what. An example is: my husband, son and I walk every evening after dinner. Even if we have each worked out or even ran that day, we still walk 2-4 miles without fail. Its such a part of our daily routine that my 2 year old thinks EVERYONE takes a walk after dinner. :)

RockStarTri said...

If bribery works, consider it another tool in the toolbox!

Massive Marcus said...

Shiny gadgets would motivate me for sure.

CinciMom11 said...

Haha, your wife is AWESOME! What a challenge! It'll be tough, but it's great motivation! So, what are you getting her for Mother's Day?

Big Clyde said...

Cinci: great question! Any advice? She's not really in a place where she can be cycling. She has a few tough months ahead at work, then a break.

(P.S. She might be reading this at some point, but maybe not). If you have ideas, please send me an e-mail. bigclydesdale@gmail.com

Bookgirl95 said...

Dad,
You can do it. Keep riding your bike and couting calories... and maybe start stepping a little more. It's easy, you can be with the fam when you do it, you can stop at any time, and you can watch tv when you do it!

I know you can get this iPhone!
Bookgirl95

P.S. If you DO get the iPhone, can I put some games on it? :)

Bookgirl95 said...

Oops, I meant iTouch.