Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This Clydesdale's First (unofficial) 5K!

CLYDESDALES, according to Wikipedia:
The characteristic action of a Clydesdale is demonstrated at a trot; an animated gait with high hoof action in both the front and rear. Despite its large size, the Clydesdale presents with an energetic quality described by the Clydesdale Horse Society as "gaiety of carriage and outlook."

Do Clydesdale's run?   Not really.  Please lower your expectations.  According to the source of all internet knowledge, Clydesdales "trot", at best.  That includes this Clydesdale.  We are not built for speed...we are bred for our abilities to carry heavy loads.  We are those handsome beasts of burden that help you lift furniture and appliances when you are moving to a new house.  Got it?

For the past few weeks, I have been doing the Couch to 5K program (http://www.c25k.com/).  Though I am supposed to do the three runs every week, I am actually taking about 10 days for the three runs because I am working in cycling too.

Anyway, I am still in Week Two of the program, but will do my first official 5K race on June 5th.  I think I will get 2 of my kids to join in, but Mrs. Clyde is still sidelined until she gets a knee operation.  I imagine that we will be walking quite a bit, but as I do more of them, I'll progress toward trotting the entire route!

To prepare, I did my first 5K last night, as a training event.  There is a running/walking group that meets in downtown Tucson each week and has a walk/run on the same route as the official 5K.  Last night, there were 588 people doing this!  The event is sponsored by Maynard's Market and Kitchen in downtown Tucson.  They have a cool store, an outdoor band, refreshments, a nice restaurant and offer discounts for nearby business to the racers.  This event has been going on every Monday for over a year and it's free!  Here's the link.

My son, Samson, and I did this on Monday night.  We maintained a fast walk (am I always supposed to call it a "brisk" walk?) throughout the entire 5K, although we ran 3-4 times for about a minute.  I know that sounds lame, but as I've said, I am not a runner.  My goal was to simply walk the route that I'll be doing on race night, get us both moving and have some fun!  It took us about 45 minutes.  Just like the Clydesdales, we presented with "gaiety of carriage and outlook." (at least, I did).

Here are some pictures from the event.
The gathering before the run!  Imagine a three piece band playing in the background.

Map in hand, we are ready to start!

Big Clyde and Samson, a happy team! 

Did you know that Easter Island is now in Tucson (serving Coronas and nachos)?

I am doing this 5K race because the event forces me to get out of my comfort zone.  If I didn't sign up for it, I might be on the couch at home.  Over the past year, I have begun to change my life through "commitment first" (to a race, a goal, an event), and "training second", and "results third" as my strategy.  That may not work for everyone, but it seems to work for me.

What challenges do you have planned in the coming weeks/months that will get you out of your comfort zone?

Big Clyde

P.S.   Thanks for so many comments yesterday!  I appreciate it more than you all could know.  :) 

17 comments:

Kimberley said...

Great work on getting ready for the official 5K and very cool that your son joined you!

I am planning to go to a hatha yoga class on Sunday and that is definitely out of my comfort zone. I emailed them first to ask if I should even bother to come as I am very overweight. The lady who responded was very nice and suggested I come try out and class, she even suggested I come early so we can chat and she can show me how to set up my mat etc.

Having a challenge gets me out of my comfort zone as well. I did my first 5K walk in April and lived to tell about it!

RockStarTri said...

I know that sounds lame

No so, my friend. This is good stuff.

Neighbor Ted said...

Dude, who is the guy in the picture next to Samson?

Twon said...

Lowering my expectations is pretty much the focal point of my entire dieting experience ;)

My next comfort zone pusher will be going to the gym. Now I know that doesn't sound particularly challenging, however if you knew just how self-conscious I am you would understand the magnitude of that undertaking!

However I joined a gym in November and have gone... once. Yes I still have to pay them every month lol

But yay for jogging! I have this romanticised idea of being of being one of those people who gets up early and "goes for a run". Maybe someday :) I've been "jogging" at home everyday as part of my wii active experience, it's not as scary as i envisioned. Well, except when i look in the mirror. Then I realize it's not jogging, it's jiggling.

Matty O said...

RIGHT ON! You have the perfect mentality BC.

Keep up the determination and joining that group was the best decision you have made, dead serious. You have to see now that there are other people making the same journey as you are!

I love that you are including your family in your journey, they will see your will and determination and this will shape them to be healthy as well.

Keep up the walk jog combo, you are right on track. With all these workouts and mixing up the training you may surprise yourself with the weight loss this week!

Sharon said...

Whoa. Did you shave your head? :)
You're looking great, Clyde! And I'm so proud of you for doing this 5K! Great job, and what a fantastic example you are setting for the kids!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

HOW EXCITING!!!

Fat Daddy said...

That's awesome BC. I did my first 5K at Thanksgiving with my two oldest boys. It was liberating. I look forward to reading about your experience.

CinciMom11 said...

How do you like the c25k program so far?

Great pictures! You're looking fit. Your first 5k sounds like it was fun. I think it's great Samson walked this 5k with you, and it's great another one of your kids might join you for your first official 5k. You guys walk faster than I run, by the way. :) Keep it up, Clyde!

Massive Marcus said...

Now I want to shave my head! I loved how care free it was with a shaved melon.

5k in 45 minutes is a great pace Clyde. Fit one of those in here or there with the boy and you'll be getting some good exercise while spending some quality father/son time together.

Then you start challenging yourselves: "Can we do it in 43 minutes?, 40 minutes" etc...

Keep pedaling, pushing, progressing.

MM

Miss S. said...

Wow-you look great! Running is not for everyone-but at least you know what works for you.

Jennifer said...

Whoo - hoo! What a victory man! I love the whole Clydesdale definition - especially "gaiety of carriage and outlook". I'm totally using that. In triathlon the bigger girls are Athenas - that's me. Built for comfort not for speed ~ that's what I like to say. Even when I'm going slow, I'm still moving forward and that means I'm doing okay. You look great!

Christine said...

Good for you!!! The C25K program sounds pretty cool. Keep it up and soon you'll be doing a 5k...then a half marathon...then a marathon and then....ah, heck, the sky's the limit when you're determined and motivated, right? :-)

(BTW thanks for your visit to my blog the other day! I was a little giddy to see a visit from a real person and not a spammer!)

Tricia said...

awesome! and so cool that you shared the experience with your son!

Lindsay said...

How awesome! Good for you :)

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

You look great! And you and your son doing this together is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Great job man. Keep it up and don't ever give in! I lost 105lbs (from 310 to 205) solely from change of diet and running. Your progress is astounding though. It took me about 5 years to lose my weight and you lost half of what I did in 6 months.