Monday, May 3, 2010

Weigh In - Week 9 - Milestone Goal Achieved!

Weight Change:  Lost 6 pounds

Total Loss since 3/1/10:  27 pounds

Today, I'm feeling:  Great!  Seeing progress and below my "milestone" number!

Here's what happened last week:
I learn something new each week.  This week, I learned a bit about pre-race eating.  I posted a weight gain last Monday, because I basically overate proteins before my race, then under-ate during the race.  It left me feeling terrible for the next few days.  I felt better by mid-week.  By the weekend, I felt great.  I also learned that my new veg/fruit heavy diet is extremely low in fiber.  That can cause...problems. 

Food: I guess I've already written about this in previous weigh-in posts...refer to them or let me know.  Essentially, this junk and fast-food junkie now eats about 1,700 calories per day...mostly fresh food, not much from a box.  It's easier than it sounds.  Will add black beans, some "double-fiber" bread and metamucil to improve that.

 Liquids: Tons of water, quite a bit of the Lipton Diet Green Tea with Citrus. This keeps it all moving and energy levels up. Coffee everyday.

Exercise: I went with my kids and their friend on a short Saturday ride of about 8 miles.  I tried to run at a higher cadence to make it more of a workout and was pleased that they pushed themselves this distance.

Confessional: Nothing major here.  At my company conference, I did enjoy some cake and in a weak moment, had several of those little Hershey's chocolate bite-size bars.  But then I got right back on plan at my next meal and ate lighter for the next day.  I think that these things will happen and are even normal.  The trick that I am learning is to enjoy what I eat in smaller portions, and when I exceed calories at any given meal, just dial it back fast on the next meal.

Weight Loss Highlight of the Week:  I now weigh 298 pounds.  Getting below 300 (from my starting weight of 325) was a milestone goal for me.  I haven't weighed this much since a brief period in 2004, when I was on this crazy diet plan involving pills and shots.  That lasted about 6 weeks.

I've never really stated my weight on this blog, just because I've felt embarassed about it.  But it feels better now, knowing that I am working on it.  A new friend, Mike from http://www.tucsonvelo.com/, recently told me that if I am eating healthy foods, losing weight and exercising, that puts me (us!) in a small group of people on this planet that are headed in the right direction...most are headed slowly in the wrong direction.  So, I guess I don't feel so badly about my current weight, as long as I am working on it. 

I am grateful to all of you for the encouragement and wanted to especially thank Mike from TucsonVelo.com.  More on that in a future post.  He has an amazing story to tell.
My Goals for this Week:
  • Establish new goals for May.
  • Maintain an avg daily calorie budget of 1,700 or less
  • Exercise at least 3 times this week (walking, cycling or stepping).  (Thanks for the challenge, Mike).  Also, do some weights.  I will start logging my exercise soon.
Have a good week everyone!

Big Clyde

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats on reaching that milestone! You are doing great :)

Al (losingharry) said...

Congrats on getting below 300! That's an awesome milestone to reach. You are doing amazing job. Even when you ate the cake and candy bars, you did it in moderation which is key to living a healthy life.

~HoneyB~ said...

Great job on reaching your milestone! Thats fantastic:)

Even when you went off plan with the cake you didnt let it wreck your whole diet, you got right back on plan at the next meal! Thats awesome :)

8 MILES!!!! HOLY! you and Al are fast becoming my #1 exercise guys to look to. Both of you really bust out some miles on your exercise plans and wow does it show for each of you. Congrats again :)

Matty O said...

GREAT JOB! Consistency pays off and like I said before you will have some hiccups in your quest. Stay strong!

CinciMom11 said...

"I also learned that my new veg/fruit heavy diet is extremely low in fiber. That can cause...problems." I laughed out loud at this!

Your bike ride with the kids sounds nice.

Congrats on the HUGE milestone! You are doing a fantastic job! Your goals for the week look good. :)

Twon said...

Milestones are awesome!! Every 10lbs even I lose I tell myself "I will NOT let myself see that number ever again!!". I hope i keep my promise to myself. The 100 marks are biggies though! Great Job.

Miss S. said...

Great loss-doesn't it sound so simple on paper? Your are so right-little things like cake or a candy are going to happen. This is life.

Massive Marcus said...

Awesome job Clyde!

The dedication to change brings about change.

Turn your back and turn the page on that number 3 that used to be the starting number in your weight. Keep moving and looking forward to better and better days.

I'm proud of you

MM

Tricia said...

Awesome job, Clyde :) You are tearin' it up!

Zeusmeatball said...

DUDE! congrats! You earned it! keep bustin' arse its obviously paying off ;)

As Ever
Me

ThatNoiseInYourEar said...

Great job on the weight loss. One correction to your comment on fruit and vegetables being of low fiber...and you may have been joking but for the record fruits and vegetables are exactly the kind fiber you need. When people speak of diet-related fiber they are talking about the structure of plants. The amount and effect of fiber can vary vegetable to veggie, fruit to fruit, nut (grain) to nut (grain), bean to bean, etc. Some fiber is considered insoluble, some soluble. Its all good for us and our intestines.