Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Some Quick Notes from the Road

Still on a short vacation with my two boys, so I have not been checking on my friends' blogs.  I hope everyone is doing well.

The weather here has been great, but is turning bad today.  Likely rain and even lightening will appear by mid-afternoon.  I grew up here, but am now much more of a desert rat.  I admire those of you living in the Northwest for sticking to your exercise plans, regardless of the weather!   Somehow, I have changed and will always love the desert and consistent climate (though this is beautiful up here).

We are staying with my sister and her husband in Seattle (having left my parents' home yesterday).  They are taking great care of us and we are having a blast.  Today, we will see the Space Needle and catch a movie at my old Bay Theatre in Ballard.  Yesterday, we hit the Locks and ate at Totem Fish and Chips (you Seattleites know what I am talking about).

I went for a walk/run last night and it felt great.  Not as aggressive as my run a few days ago, but I can tell that it was a good workout.  I might even ride on a borrowed bike tonight if the weather holds up.
My nutrition has been mostly good this week, but I am not sweating it.  If I have greasy fish and chips on one day, then I am eating light the next.  I doubt I will see a loss, but I shouldn't gain either.  We are making stops to grab apples and carrots, etc. as snacks, rather than junk (this is a big change from my past).  Exercise this week has not been aggressive, but it has been consistent with something pretty much each day:  50 min walk, 2.5 hours at the beach, 3.37 miles in 43:30 minutes, 40 minute walk last night.
When I return, the boys and I will head up to the mountains and I will do a short cycling race called Bike the Bluff.  It will only be 17.5 miles (not a real challenge), but I will eat well this time and not bonk like I did on my last race.  My focus will be to improve my speed and push myself.   I have gotten into running a bit lately and have not been riding, so this will be my first time on the bike in weeks.   It will be good to get back.

A few more random thoughts...
I went to the doctor last week to get some meds for my sinus infection.  He noted that I had lost 30 pounds since my visit last October and my blood pressure was "perfect" (it had been creeping up before I started cycling).  That was good to hear.

Regarding my weight, I had been stalled for thee weeks, then finally broke free and lost some weight for two weeks.  Then, got sick and now travelling.  My commitment hasn't changed, but I am guessing that I won't lose this week again and will therefore not achieve Mrs. Clyde's iTouchallenge by Father's Day.  She has graciously given me an extension, so I am still chasing that number of 280 (by July 1st?).  Thanks, honey.

Mom is going in to the hospital today for a scheduled surgery.  It should be relatively simple, but surgery always brings concern to me.  I am praying for her.

Keep moving, everyone!

Big Clyde

13 comments:

Matty O said...

Right on! Great job with sticking to your plan. Eating right is half the battle!

If you are able to borrow someone's bike, that is really cool. Keep up the good work!

Patrick said...

My wife & I spent a long weekend in Seattle a few years back. We loved it and have vowed to return for a longer visit. When we do, I shall remember to check in with you for some 'where to go' first hand advice.

Keep moving Clyde.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Getting moving forward, there are plateaus, now you need to take it to the next level to break through them

Tricia said...

great job working out on vacation!

Christine said...

That's nice of Mrs. Clyde to give you an extension! Keep up the great work and HAVE FUN!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Great news on the extension and good to hear that through highs, lows, and plateaus you're staying on an even keel.

LauraLynne said...

Totally in my 'hood! Live north of Seattle, work in downtown Seattle - take all the sights and sounds for granted most of the time. Hopefully you were here this weekend when the big yellow ball in the sky came out to play...we're back to rain again...

RockStarTri said...

Good news from the Doc for you. Here's to Mom doing great too.

Dadshrinks said...

Best wishes to your mom on her recovery!

Kimberley said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

Great news about the BP!!!

Mrs. Clyde is the best!

Sending positive and healing thoughts for your Mom.

Enjoy the bike ride!

Alan said...

Best wishes. Good of you to be there.

Massive Marcus said...

Sending prayers to your mom Clyde.

Every little but helps, a little more movement here, a better food choice there.

awesome nsv with the blood pressure! Great indication that your efforts are making you more healthy.

Keep it up!

Caratunk Girl said...

I hope things went OK for your mom.

Great job on lower the BP! And it is cool you got an extension - you can totally do it!