Thursday, June 17, 2010

Unpacking the Bags

I am back home now, after my trip to Seattle.   It has been a crazy, busy week for the Clydes!
  • My boys and I arrived home late last night, slept briefly, then we awoke early so I could take them to their other grandparents.  They all left early this morning for their cabin in the White Mountains.  I'll join them for my Bike The Bluff cycling race on Saturday morning.
  • My mom's surgery went very well and she was released to go home the same day (which never happens for her).  It was Dad's birthday (70!) and yesterday was their 49th anniversary!  So glad that all went well.  Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.  Much appreciated.
  • It was great seeing my Dad, who has lost about 90 pounds in the last two years (by simply choosing smaller portions and no ice cream).  I have never seen him at this weight in my lifetime.  He weighs less now than he did when he was an athlete in high school.  Amazing.  On the downside, he recently was in a motorcycle accident and broke some ribs and punctured a lung.  He has recovered well, but is still in some pain.  For so many reasons, he is my hero!
  • I loved the time with family and my boys.  Mrs. Clyde and my daughter (Bookgirl95) are doing some mission work on the streets of Denver with some inner-city kids.  It sounds rewarding, but they are trying to "live in the culture", so no hotel accomodations, no creature comforts and no cell phones.  We haven't spoken and I won't see them for days.  Tough for us, but it will be fine.  God is with all of them, I know.
  •  I ate decently on vacation, but not within my 1700 calorie plan.  I worked out nearly every day, running further and faster than I have in decades (though still not breaking any land-speed records!).
  • This morning, I weighed in at 293.  Down 3 pounds from my last official weigh-in on 6/7, but above my recent low of 289.  Now is the time for me to punch through and get into the low 280's.
  • With my family gone, I could follow my old routine:  eat lots of pizza, watch action movies, etc.  It still seems tempting.  But I am going to go a different route:   back on my calorie plan, and I walked 5.1 miles tonight (too tired to run).  I'll do a light bike ride tomorrow in prep for Saturday's race.  
Finally, a few updates on some lingering topics:

Mrs. Clyde's iTouchallenge:  You may have seen that my wife challenged me to get to 280 by Father's Day.  Given that I have been sick, will not lose 13 pounds in the next four days and that she won't even be back by then, she gave me an extension.  I have decided that I am going to push this challenge back much further (to September) to drop even more weight.   I guess I want to impress her by choosing a more aggressive goal, given her willingness to allow me more time.  Any suggestions for a September goal?

The Fool on the Hill:  This is how I was going to lose some of those pounds for the above challenge, but I got into running in the meantime.  I like that I can sweat my tail off and still stay in the neighborhood...all within 45 minutes (even after dark).  A similar sweat-inducing bike ride would take over an hour, but would be much further from home (for the road miles) and is too dangerous after dark.  As the heat is brutal in the Arizona summertime, I may put this official challenge on hold, and just ride for fun and focus more on running.  Not sure yet.

Goals:  I have already lost almost all of my goal weight for 2010 and have done more races than I intended.  Good stuff.    Now, I am interested in running some more 5K's and even a 10K.  It is time for me to review my progress this year and set some goals for the rest of the year. 

Next up is the race this Saturday.  Should be fun!

11 comments:

~HoneyB~ said...

So glad youre home safe and sound and your mom is doing well ... what a rock star dad you have!!!! very cool about the weightloss, not so cool on the broken ribs but how many ppl can say their dad is still rockin a cycle at 70????

Excellent on your weight loss while on vaca to boot!

Dani @ WRW said...

What an active life you have, full of love! Best wishes with your cycling race. Sounds like fun!

Christine said...

275 by Sept. 10.
That's what I'd shoot for if I were you.

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Your race will go great! Congratulations on your weight loss and everything you have already accomplished.

Tricia said...

happy your mom and dad are doing well :)

360lbsman said...

Nice to see that your back safe and full of motivation! Maybe you could go for 250 pounds by september? That's aggressive! :)

foolsfitness said...

I'll tell you my bicycles and I are in love. I couldn't do the running at my weight, maybe not ever?

The trip sounded cool. Too bad you wouldn't be around maine early next month they are doing a bicycle weekend. I may go but I'm not sure about setting enough money aside yet.

At Foolsfitness we just put the third notch in our belt!!! eight inches down so far my friend!- Alan

Christina said...

Wow, it sounds like things are going great for your family. Thanks for sharing some details from your personal life. :) 'Grats on the 3 pounds and on staying on track while your family is gone.

What do you mean by 'a more aggressive goal'? I'd choose a goal that maybe isn't more aggressive but that does require you to stick with the program. Maybe two pounds per week until the end of the challenge?

Alan said...

I'd like to hear more about your dad's loss - why he finally made the change, how he knows what portions are right, if his other health indicators (BP, etc.) have also improved.

I'm a "two pounds a week" goal type, so how about 271 by Sept. 1?

Caratunk Girl said...

You must be happy to be home, and I am happy to hear your mom's surgery went well. OH and Happy Father's Day!

I like the sounds of 2 lbs per week for a goal - it seems doable without getting too aggressive - I know you want to be more aggressive, but when I do that I tend to fall off the wagon aggressively too if that makes any sense?

Massive Marcus said...

No reason you can't watch one of your action movies after going for a run!