Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dude's Week - Choices, choices

If you're just joining The Clydesdale Project, my wife and 2/3 of my kids are away for the week.  That leaves me and my 9-year old to have our own Dude's Week.  Yes, he has eaten fruit and is not glued to the tv, he brushes his teeth (sometimes) and has showered (once).  He's made forts out of the pillows and cushions and spends a lot of time wearing only his underwear.  With the rest of the family gone, he seems to be transforming into something more primal, yet with more energy.


Tonight, we did a short bike ride.  Not a workout, but a fun time for the two of us.


Tuesday night, I got a very short RUN in on my own.  I intended to do my neighborhood 5k route, but started at about 5pm when it was still over 100 degrees.  I felt great (initially) and started to run without a warm-up walk.  I ran the first mile, walked a bit back up the hill, then ran about 3/4 mile and finished with a short cool down walk.  2.25 miles in about 28 minutes.  I know, short run, but I was running more than I have lately and it just got so bloody hot.  Next time, I'll bring water along (should've known better).

My son and I are still missing the rest of the family, who are returning Friday night.  I am eating decently this week, but definitely above my 1700 calorie limit.  With the rest of the family gone, it is hard for me to stick to my low-cal stuff and make the boy eat his regular food on his own.  So, we are compromising a bit.  He is sad that the family is apart and a meal of asparagus and egg whites is not a great time in his book.  My goal is to make this a fun week for him, so I am not going to be too concerned about the discipline of my 1700 calories.  It's all a balancing act. 

I am guessing that my limited exercise and food choices will result in a flat or slight weight gain.  So be it.  The weight loss/cycling/fitness journey is important to me and I'll continue to pursue my goals.  But this week, the priority is to be a great father to my son.   The Clydesdale Project is a work in progress...a long work in progress.

8 comments:

Kimberley said...

You now live with Captain Underpants! That is wonderful!

Is there a Dude's swim planned?

Big Clyde said...

Yes! Night Swim is tomorrow night, after a dinner of turkey jerky, string cheese, baby carrots and watermelon, (basically anything that can be eaten with our hands, so as not to create dirty dishes).

Alan said...

Such a cool week. I need to figure out how to arrange this with my 9 year old son. How did you get him to take a shower? JK, but my sons are pretty sure they don't need to shower any more than my car needs a wash.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Great lesson for your son on compromising, yet still attempting to fit in your training and diet.

Luke said...

sound liek a worthy reason to put on a pound, not like its long term or anything.

KJ said...

Hey, Big Clyde! I love your blog and have added you to my list :-) Looks like we have the same sort of weather conditions, except I have humidity (not the dry desert heat you must have -not sure which is worse!).

Your weight loss is awesome - keep up the great work!

Debby said...

I love the idea of dudes week.

Agree that at 9 years old, asparagus and egg whites isn't appealing. Um, it isn't appealing to a 51 year old either! *g* Awesome that you're incorporating activity into your dudes week. So many other dads would veg on the couch in front of the TV with a beer. You're teaching your son that activity is fun, not work. Enjoy your swim...enjoy wearing only your undies. Enjoy your 9 year old...he'll soon be 31.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Clyde here... we'll be on the road soon. Camp has been great, but I'd give anything for some real food and coffee. You make a great, healthy omlet! Thanks for taking care of our boy...a dip in the pool can count for a shower this week!! ...afterall, a dip in the river counts where we are. As for me, I've been climbing some wicked hills here (real ones...and metaphorically speaking) and I'm ready to get back on the ol' bike soon. Being in better shape would've made the hills a lot easier; at least the real hills! Exercise will go a long way with the other ups and downs of life too!! Can't wait for us to be all together again!