Thursday, July 1, 2010

I Need Some Patience...NOW!

Short post today, then I will do a Top 5 Friday post tomorrow and will be away over the long weekend.

Once again, I am feeling a bit frustrated about my lack of progress, as shown on the scale.  I am exercising pretty well and eating pretty well (though not as disciplined as I was in recent months).  But I look for those daily signs of progress on the scale and when I don't see it, I get discouraged.  Then, this Clyde wants to turn to happy-food to make him feel better.  Those times have been few, but they still occur.  I'm not gaining, but not losing. 

I should disclose that there are some stressful things going on that affect our family, but we will be fine.  It is beyond our control and we are soldiering through it.  All are healthy, but we have a daily emotional stress thing that we are dealing with that will end in about 60 days.  Until then, it is heavy on our minds. 

I've got to remember remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.  I need to remember that I still will do the 35-mile El Tour de Tucson race this year, only this time, I'll do it with at least one of my kids and Crazy Jim and maybe, Mrs. Clyde.  I'll also do several 5K races this Fall and maybe an 8K or 10K.  My goal is to do a 35-minute 5K. 

Should I stick my depression-inducing scale in the closet for a month?

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Clyde, if you has real stressors going on outside of your own mission to get healthy now, then maintaining weight may be just fine. If more of your mental energy and time are needed to attend to family matters, then that would seem to be a priority. If the trade off is just maintaining weight, seems Ok by me. Is it frustrating, sure. But perhaps when putting all in perspective you can accept it and find some relief from that frustration. You know how to lose, when the stresses abate and the time is here to move forward again, you will.

Twice the Man said...

i think your processing the information wrong, even factoring in the stress, if your eating well and exercising well and your more then 50 pounds overfat well, that tells me maybe you need to relook at what eating and exercising well is for you right now, this is a great opportunity for you to find new ways to get fitter, i trust you can do it. Now if you have a close family member with cancer or some other life threating illness where your in the hospital daily or caring round the clock for them, you may want to reconsider where losing weight is the most important thing to you at the moment. Stress is the worst enemy to weight loss I have found, but much of it can be managed.

RockStarTri said...

You should not ditch the scale but weekly might be a better interval. It is proven that people that regularly weigh in pay more attention to what they eat.

Good luck on getting through the stuff you need to.

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I am a daily weigh-in person, but if the scale really messes with your mind then reducing your weigh-in frequency might be smart. I know it can be hard to stay on track with the consistent losses when stress hits. Sometimes it's just best to try and maintain where you are until things calm down. That way you aren't gaining - but practicing maintenance. I call those times "temporary maintenance."

Alan said...

Clyde, I'm not sure I'm qualified to give you advice at this point. The above looks good to me. Just want you to know we're in your corner out here. (The only small piece of advice is to avoid trigger foods while dealing with stress - try to double down on veggies, fruit, and lean protein.)

Christina said...

I'm commenting here a little late...

I'm sorry you're going through some tough stuff right now. :( Unfortunately, there will always be difficult periods in life. I say keep the scale out because it'll be honest with you through the tough times. This may help you stay on track and stick with the healthy thing even when life isn't perfect. On the other hand, if you feel like you need to shift your focus away from the journey to good health for a while, DO IT. Don't feel guilty if you know that's what you need to do.