Saturday, July 10, 2010

Weigh In - Week 19 and A New Personal Best!

Somebody give me a High-5!

Weight Change:  Lost 5 pounds!
Total Loss since 3/1/10:  35 pounds

Today, I'm feeling:  Awesome, like I felt when I was steadily losing, (until I stopped in June).

Here's what happened last week:
After a brief weekend stay at a resort (eating decently), I went back to my disciplined steps of counting calories on sparkpeople.com and exercising often. 

Highlight of the Week:  Friday morning, I went out early to exercise, which I haven't done in a long time...I hate it.  So, I just told myself that it would not be strenuous, just long.  I walked 5.5 miles in 90 minutes.  Time consuming, but not difficult.  Then, at the end of my workday, I was so energized (and it had just rained, so it was cool) so I ran my 5k loop.  I did a 2-minute walking warm-up, then ran most of the distance with a few walk-breaks.  I did it in 38:38!  A personal-best for me!  My previous time was just above 40 minutes.

Food:  Since Tuesday morning, I have eaten about 1,730 calories per day.

Liquids:  Lots of water and green tea.

Exercise:  Walked/ran about 17 miles in the past 5 days. 

Confessional:  Solid this week.  No deviations from plan (well, since I went back on plan on Tuesday).

My Goals for this Week:
• Continue to pursue goal of 275 weight by September 6th for Mrs. Clyde's iTouchallenge!
Short-term goal is to be at 285 by 7/31...I know I can hit that!
• Cardio will be walking/running/cycling for at least 5 days this week.
• Maintain about 1,700 daily calories of good healthy food.

Question:  Should I keep track of my weekly mileage, or set goals for it...or should I just make sure I am doing something each day?  What works for you?

Make it a good week everyone!

Big Clyde

12 comments:

Patrick said...

Excellent excellent excellent, and here is that high five; ^5

New weight loos,new PR for the 5k, thats gotta feel real good Clyde!

Myself iwould think that just making sure you are doing something to get in exercise is sufficient. But, if you actually set a goal for a certain number of miles a week because that will motivate you, then logging the mileage may help keep you focused on achieving it.

Sean Anderson said...

High five to you my friend! That's incredible!!

Kyle Gershman said...

Congrats on your big loss!

I haven't tracked my mileage which is actually quite opposite my usual data data data protocol.

You simply have to judge for yourself what you find to be more motivating...if you are data driven, perhaps seeing the numbers going up is going to be better than just the soft stuff of trying your best each day.

In reality, I go back and forth between my motivators so perhaps sticking to one method alone isn't necessary.

360lbsman said...

High five Clyde! Awesome job! I can feel the positive vibes from your blog. I really need it right now. Again, awesome job mate!

Kimberley said...

Right now I like weekly goals and I like numbers...5 miles, 5 K, whatever it is.

Great job on the loss!!! ^-5 indeed. LOL!

Good for you for doing that big, long walk and for getting a new PB on your 5 K loop.

fatty blogsticks said...

high five! i'm also feeling the enthusiasm, thanks!

personally i prefer to set time goals. that way you can mix it up and won't feel disappointed if you don't quite make the mileage, but succeed in some other activity.

fatty blogsticks said...

p.s. love the pic. mammoth moment!

Caratunk Girl said...

That is so awesome, congrats on your hard work and weight loss!

It depends on where I am motivation-wise if I just do something every day or make a plan. Also depends on my race schedule. I do not do well in a box, meaning if I have a set schedule, I rarely follow it. But if I want to run 3 times, bike 4 times, and swim 4 times in a week, then I decide the night before what I am doing. Then I get into my own groove.

I am in a motivation rut right now, so you are inspiring me to get my butt out there!

Christina said...

You walked 5.5 miles, then ran a 5k later that day? And you set a PR? Dude, you're back!!!! Welcome. :)

Nice job on the weight loss this week! I like that you've broken down your big goal into smaller goals.

I plan out my mileage for the week (this week is 7, 0, 4.6, 3.5, 5, 0, 4.6) and then record what I actually do. That's just for running. I hit the gym on my off-days to lift and cross train, so I know I'll be doing something every day. I like having a plan.

I don't know how you get by on 1700 calories, especially on a day like Friday!! Haha :)

Alan said...

Clyde that's tremendous!

I agree that either approach could work if it works for you, but my hunch is that the "get out there 5 days a week" approach might unlock you. If you look at what happened Friday, you went out, took what your body was giving you, and upped your level authentically, when your body was ready. Rather than struggle to meet artificial benchmarks, or settle for goals you've set in advance, get moving and go as far as your body will take you.

Great job!

Epiphany said...

Thanks again for your comment on my blog! It really meant a lot. Congrats on your new personal best. Your post reminded me that I should go for a walk even if I hate doing it because I know I will feel better afterward. I look forward to reading more.

Massive Marcus said...

Awesome dude!

You know I credit a big part of my success to your may day challenge. It really gave me a tangible goal with feedback and other people to train along with. I haven't joined a challenge since but the timing of that challenge, being early in my transformation, gave me a good jump start and confidence.

Thanks Clyde.