Friday, August 13, 2010

Clyde to the Rescue...Again

As you know, I am quite modest and do not want to draw any attention to myself (as detailed in my almost daily blog posts about the trivial things in my life).  But when something amazing happens and heroic acts are witnessed, it has to be documented somewhere, right?  (Even if I am that hero!)

Danger is not my middle name, but it should be.  I wrote in an earlier post called: Yes I Saved My Family Again about how I had to put myself at risk for the safety of my loved ones.  Well, it happened again.

I came home during the day for lunch and was drinking some water, looking out my kitchen window and saw something struggling in the pool.  I ran outside and saw this:
(Arizona Desert Ground Squirrel...doing the dog paddle)

(the little monster, up-close)

(Though there was enough time for me to take some pictures), there really was no more time to waste.  I grabbed our skimming net and rescued the little monster and plopped him onto the patio.  I assume he was relieved (but did I get a thank-you??), and then he ran under the gate and back to his home to tell the story of the gentle giant who saved his life.
(home safe in his hole)

I didn't ask to be a hero and I did not wake up this morning thinking "I'm going to save a life today".  But when danger calls, the training just kicks in.  You put down your iced water, grab your blackberry phone/camera and jump into action.  Result?  Lives are saved.  Next?

But seriously, what does it take to get a thank-you these days?  Couldn't he have at least turned around to give me a nice head-nod before he scurried into his hole?  Maybe next time, I'll FINISH my glass of water before I jump into danger and rescue him.  Roll the dice, rodent, roll the dice.

Big Clyde

16 comments:

Katy said...

OMG, this is so awesome....savin' lives, taken names.

TJ said...

Awww how nice of you to have saved him! I bet he ran home & told his friends how nice you were! :) So funny!

spunkysuzi said...

You should get a reward!!

Patrick said...

I'm sure all rodents everywhere are sending you a big Thank You in their own special way.

Allan said...

For sure I thought you would incorporate the story into something to do with lunch. Your new trap, how squirrel is ok on your plan... Happy with your story, rather than what could have happened if you lived in say, West Virginia,....

Christina said...

Haha, great job! You're an awesome storyteller. I bet your kids love it!

RockStarTri said...

If I saved a squirrel like that in NY, I'm sure he would look at me and give me the finger afterwards. Then he would grab his iphone and update his facebook page with all of his squirrel friends saying they "liked" his tempting fate with a clueless big guy.

It is all about perspective...

:)

Fat Daddy said...

I can't believe how you risked it all. You ARE truly a hero. I am humbled to be in your presence!

Raegun said...

He probably went back to his buddies and complained about how you ruined his triathlon training. ;)

Kimberley said...

Is there no end to the wonder that is Big Clyde? You are a super hero!

When you find all those acorns in your mailbox you will know where they came from.

Lesley Jones said...

This is just the laught I needed tonight. Super Clyde! Hero to the rescue. Just hope you're around when the next rodent tries to drown.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Hmm...you just *happened* to be there, camera phone in hand, and coincidentally a DESERT SQUIRREL started swimming...I'm sensing Balloon Boy 2 here... ;-)

P.S. Don't let the squirrel go on Larry King unscripted!

William Hanson said...

Too bad you don't live in Canada. You'd be a sure bet for the annual rodent heroism award. :-)

Scuttleboose said...

I would have stood there screaming and jumping up and down like a four-year old little girl. :)
Good thing you didn't have to perform CPR!

Miss S. said...

Maybe he'll deposit some berries or bugs on your step in thanks. Great save

fatty blogsticks said...

haha, SUPERCLYDE! don't lose hope, maybe you'll get a thank-you note in the mail.