Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Short Business Trip

My, how times have changed...

On previous business trips, after work, I would go out with my customers or co-workers and throw back a few beers or cocktails, then have a nice dinner and maybe dessert.  If I was on my own, I would get into more trouble by finding a local pizza place, grabbing one to go and heading back to the solitude of my hotel room to devour most (or all) of the pizza, maybe some candy and watch tv.

Tuesday night was different for this new Clydesdale.  Same drinks after work with the fellas at a local brewery.  Had a great amber ale (my first in weeks/months), then had the shrimp tacos with minimal guacamole. 

Back at the hotel room, I let the food and beer settle in and was too tired to work out.  On a positive note, I didn't have any candy or snacks with me...just water and diet green tea.  But I slumped into some tv watching, got more tired.  At 9:45pm, I decided turned the tv off.  I set the 5am wake-up call with the front desk.  Then, I changed my clothes...

...into my workout gear and headed to the workout room at the hotel.  I did 30 minutes of solid cardio, then stripped down to my workout shorts and hit the beautiful outdoor pool.  Flanked by palm trees, this huge pool was lit from below and otherwise was very dark.  The moon was way off to the side, just like a nightlight.  It was gorgeous and I alternated between just floating and doing some light swimming.
(not the same pool, but it looked light this, only bigger)

I'm so grateful that I have changed my life.  A recent blogger-friend recently got after someone who was reaching to God for help in their weight loss struggle.  I certainly don't blame God for my bad choices that got me to 325 pounds...I know that my choices to grab pizza, candy and a lot of tv got me there. 

But I ABSOLUTELY believe that God helped me get the discipline to make these changes in my life. 

Any fool can dig themselves into a deep hole, but they usually need some help in climbing back out.  I had help from many people (including many of you) as I have dug myself out, but I also attribute it to help from God.

Weigh-in is Saturday...it will be a good day.



Big Clyde

25 comments:

Matty O said...

Nothing wrong with a good brew once in awhile :)

Good choice and way to muster up the fortitude to get down and get that cardio in!!!

Good luck!

Patrick Mahoney said...

That's pretty awesome. I tend to pack more gear than actual clothing when I travel now...and it's fun to find a way to stay on track when you are out of your area.

Patrick said...

Um, what kind of beer? Can you get an iTouch that also dispenses beer?? Please say no or I am getting a six pack of iTouches tonight.

Andrew Opala said...

Good luck on Saturday. I've sent you my training progress, but the programs tab on my blog also has the training I used. Happy to talk more: andrew@andrewopala.ca. You've been so successful over such a long period of time - I think if you just keep at it you will reach your goals.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Great choices! So cool you're on track with the changes. Oh, and the pool is similar to mine as well, only mine is nonexistent.

Jams said...

Fantastic man! That's a huge accomplishment and I hope you see how big it really is. You indulge a little and still live a healthy lifestyle. I hope the wake up call wasn't too unpleasant! :) Enjoy the rest of your trip. Saturday will be amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hope I'm allowed to post - I'm not a dude!

I agree with you on God giving you the strength/will/whatever to stay with your healthy lifestyle. I am VERY strong-willed, but could never keep up my exercise and stick with decreasing my sugar until I was at the END OF THE LINE mentally and laid it down for God. Which is, of course, what He wanted. "My" weight loss isn't mine, it's His, and it is my job to share that witness with the interested folks who ask. Yes, I will discuss food choices, cardio, weights, etc, but am also called to give credit to Whom it is due.

Keep up the good work! (I post anonymously because I am too tech-challenged to figure anything else out!)

Christine said...

I'm hoping that this weigh-in is great for you!

Lucas said...

Don't you just love it when you see your healthy choices morph into habits morph into lifestyle! It's wonderful when it just becomes a part of your life and it's not such a CHORE all the time. Way to stay on track while out of the road!

Fat Daddy said...

Man Clyde! You are doing so good. Beating a business trip is one of the most significant challenges I have faced. To haul your tired butt out of the chair and put in that workout is a great indicator of how far you have come.

Luke said...

Great choices! I hope today goes just as well if not better.

Ann said...

I LOVED this post!! Great job, Clyde! You are inspiring me ... I need to visit the workout room the next time I am a hotel guest. I bet you slept well too.

Jo said...

You did a great job navigating the minefield of the business trip!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Amen! Awesome Clyde. And that pool... um, yeah, even I want to swim in that, and I'm not that fond of water. It's hard to make good choices when you're alone, so not snacking AND getting a workout at the hotel is great. And we all deserve a brew (or glass of wine) on occassion.

Raegun said...

If I had known the iPhones came with beer I would have switched by now. ;)
Congrats on doing all the right things on your business trip! I'm sure the scale will be kinder for it tomorrow.
Rae

Mrs. F said...

Awesome Clyde! God is good ... all the time! I too, wouldnt have made it thus far without Gods help in staying discliplined and making the changes. He gets the glory!

Scuttleboose said...

This all sounds great - what a beautiful pool! :) Have you tried Bud Select 55? Of course, it's not the creme de la creme, but it's pretty darn swell :)

William Hanson said...

Great job with the workout. I know it can be hard to stay on track on those business trips, but sounds like you're doing just fine... congrats.

Jennifer said...

I love the balance of your report. It speaks volumes about your journey and your progress but without beating anyone over the head (including yourself). Sounds like you had a great night! Congrats!

I Said So... said...

Awesome job...man, I want to swim there too. Maybe in a bikini next year????

People call on God when they get into debt, they want help getting out. Gambling, yes. Alcohol, yes. ETC. Why not weight loss? It requires incredible strength and will-power.

Great post.
J

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

My business trips are also a marker of my journey. I had one two years ago where I cleaned out the pizza and Italian bakeries of South Boston and wasn't sure I'd wake up the next morning. Fast forward to my last one, where all I ate in my room was a third of a bag of trail mix. That really told me I was on track, finally.

Neighbor Ted said...

I am eating pizza and sitting on my couch as I read this. I sat here and waited for my wife to grab the pizza, grab me my soda, and take care of the little man. It has been a good day.

Neighbor Ted said...

but i am being good. it was diet soda

Kyle Gershman said...

When I was a travelling consultant, I was on my way to the grave on the express elevator. An expense account was a license to eat. And for some stupid reason, I felt that for the woes of travel, I needed to reward myself with eating the most and junkiest food I could find. Idiot.

Big standing ovation for your reformed travel ways Mr. Clyde.

Tony Bowles said...

Great job. I know business trips can be challenging when attempting to maintain healthy food choices. I agree completely that faith gives us the strength to face any challenge. Keep up the great work and diligence.