Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Speed Bump

I got my groove back today... 

Here I am going over my training plan with my coach, renowned fitness expert Dr. Butch Strongwell.  The guy is a brutal fitness monster, with no tolerance for weakness!

Thanks to all of you who have commented over the past few days.  I was basically off my "plan" (which is low-cal, lots of water, and exercise) for about 4 days.  Nothing too tragic, just a sedentary speed-bump.   Though I didn't expect it, I never doubted that I would get back on plan.  It seems that you never doubted me either.  Thanks.

Here's why/how I went off plan:
  • Complacency - hit a new low weight(!) and felt I could relax for a day or two (or four).
  • Groceries - Ran out of fresh fruit and veggies, so I didn't have healthy snacks to grab.
  • Water - ...did not drink much.
  • Exercise - Some stressful stuff is still going down with my wife's work situation, so we are talking a lot and sleeping a little.  Very sad and frustrating.
  • Denial - I avoided the "scoreboard" (no scale, no counting of calories), which makes it hard to know you are losing ground.
Here's how I got back on plan:
  • Did the opposite of the things that got me off-track.  Ate well today and logged it in to sparkpeople. 
  • I'll get more detailed on my normal food plan tomorrow, but today I ate 1,500 calories and drank tons of liquids. 
  • Tonight (Wednesday), I ran 3.1 miles in 35:37.  Missed my PR by 7 seconds (but this is the first time I've worked out in one week).  I ran the first two miles (that is only my second time doing that)! 
  • Mile #1:  11:02 (ran).  Mile #2: 11:24 (ran).  Mile #3.1:  13:11 (ran and walked). 
  • I'll get good groceries tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone.  I hope your week is going well also.

Big Clyde

15 comments:

Scuttleboose said...

What inspiration! Congrats for recognizing a hiccup and getting back on plan quickly! :)

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Great job getting back on track, but 1500 calories seems too low when you factor in your size and the fact you ran.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

You go, Clyde. I'm glad you're "keeping score" again. Just read a post yesterday that questioned that behavior, but I think it's essential for staying accountable.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Kovas makes a good point...

Raegun said...

Talk about accountability - good for you! I think it's fantastic that you were able to address what went wrong and how to get back on track. Whenever that's happened to me I've been prone to just ignore it and promise to do better the next day.
I'm loving the Andre pics. Hmm....does anyone else think Butch Strongwell didn't really grow into his name? ;)

Happy Fun Pants said...

I really love that you got right back on track and that you didn't doubt that you would.

You're SO inspiring! Also, I hope you have red suspenders somewhere...that was a good look for 'Dre back in the day.

Bethanny said...

Keep it up! It's great that you recognized why you began to slip, and addressed it! That is what many people fail to do. Keep up the good work!

midlife_swimmer said...

we need to get you swimming for a triathlon

you have a pool?

I have videos in mind on you tube to help you learn to swim efficiently for distance

Patrick said...

Sniff, sniff... is that an iTouch I smell, sniff...

Miss S. said...

Way to get back on track Big man. You're going to have to change your blog name at this pace.

Fat Daddy said...

Good for you Clyde. You'll go right past that low real fast. Everyone takes a day or two here and there. Now you got your gameface back on.

Lucas said...

Bottom line is, you got back at it! Nice work. Now please to continue kicking zee ass!

Ms. PJ Geek said...

I could have written the first part of your post..the getting off track part..I hit an all time low last week and bounced up 6 lbs due to less exercise, 2 Wendys visits, Pizza, and complacency I guess. Let's add stress to that--my husbands job is going through a restructure and it has really effected his self view..he's aftaid he'll lose his job at any moment. My plan is to eat around 1400..+ or - 100 calories and to get back to my favorite exercise classes.
I lived in Tucson for 2 winters..loved it . I worked at Tuscon medical center as a winter replacememt nurse. I miss Chuys' nachos.

fatty blogsticks said...

yep, complacency can be a killer! but nothing superclyde can't handle!

Yash Raj said...

Commercial Fitness equipment including treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and custom strength equipment. You can find our nearest provider for Fitness equipment orlando.