Thursday, September 2, 2010

4 Days Left in The iTouchallenge! - See Clyde Run!

There are 4 days left in Mrs. Clyde's iTouchallenge!  I have not weighed myself since Saturday morning, but I am not feeling lighter.  We'll see.

By the way, Apple made a big announcement today about improvements to their iPod Touch.  I want it.  Here's their latest ad.

I had a good night tonight.  My friend, Rock Star Tri, always gives me great advice.  Simple and straightforward.  In May, I was writing about how I am not really used to pushing myself, when it comes to exercise (having never been an athlete). 

RockStar Tri's simple advice at that time was very motivational to me.  He wrote "Let's just say that it would be great if all should do a little more than they think would be easy and then enjoy the results."

I wrote to him today about my running, which was something that I couldn't even do in May.  I wrote that I have been improving my 5K time lately, but cannot seem to run past the first two miles.  At the 2-mile mark, I am so exhausted that I end up walking much of the last mile.    I asked for his advice.  He said at this point, it was just a mental game.   His answer, as usual, was simple.  JUST.  DO.  IT.

Lesley from Racing It Off also had commented that I likely could improve my third mile time, if I slowed the first mile time a bit.

So, tonight after dinner, I started my run and actually RAN 3.1 MILES!  No stopping, no pain.  I even felt I could have gone further.   

This was another reminder that my biggest obstacle often is one that I create.  I sell myself short.  I tell myself that I'm not able.  But I am doing that less and less.  I know that many of my friends might not be able to run three miles at a time.  The Clydesdale Project is working and I am improving my mental game, as well as my body.  Good times.

And yes, this is just another reason why I am grateful to all of you for the encouragement!

Big Clyde

17 comments:

Patrick said...

I sir am in awe. I cannot run three miles, not sure I could run one mile without the extreme motivation of evading anal probbing alien attackers. To that threat I am certain I could run back to back marathons at world (or galactic) record pace.

I'm reserving my time now in a few days for the viewing event for the pictures of your new itouch. I found the chair I want to sit in & am leaning towards an ice tea as my beverage for this highly anticipated event. I'll figure out what I am going to wear that day, I am not a fashionista after all.

Go gett'em Clyde!

Caratunk Girl said...

Run Clyde run! You are awesome - felt so good you could go further!? Cool! And that iTouch is yours!!! Keep up the great work!

Jams said...

Our bodies are willing and able to do so much more than our minds think or want to push through. You see - that discomfort we feel is our bodies getting stronger, but we're trained to avoid discomfort. So as soon as we start to feel it, our minds start thinking of ways and reasons to stop. Way to push through. Sometimes we have to just tell our brains to shut up!

:) Keep at it!

Luke said...

I recently read an article about how of the many similiar gentic markers that elite level athletes have, one relates to the the brain and psychology. Without it, even with body mechanics, etc. thtey will never maximize thier potential.

GREAT JOB ON THE RUN!

Andrew Opala said...

You're right persistent discomfort is really tough to break through when you're not an athlete.

One thing that some Master Athletes have discovered is that they can manage this discomfort better as they age. So time is also on your side.

Keep it up!

Moving Mertle said...

Great Job!!! You are totally going to get that Ipod touch!!

Happy Fun Pants said...

WAY TO GO! :)

I think it's great that you accomplished a huge goal!

As for the Apple stuff, I would stay away from it - I don't trust computers. They're all newfangled.

Whippersnappers.

Hoodlums.

and

Shinanigans...

I just wanted to throw out some more "old people" words. :)

Ann (-6.5 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

WOW, Congratulations, Clyde!! That is really an uplifting post! YOU DID IT !! And in style ... So, if you don't win the ITouch this month, it doesn't really matter, because you've already won. Hold out for the IPad for December ...

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Holy Smokes Clyde!!!!!!! Rock on! 3.1 is a great accomplishment. And the great part is that now that you know you can do it, you are mentally set up to do it again.

Looking forward to your Monday challenge check-in.

Katie J said...

Clyde, I was looking for an email addy for you but could not find it. I have some sad news you may or may not know already

http://losingwaist.blogspot.com/2010/09/goodbye-stages-of-change-please-read.html

foolsfitness said...

One of the things I really appreciate about you is you get a specific goal set together and strive purposefully toward it.

I think you'll see the lower 270's far before me. You are getting more miles in than me too!

Perhaps you shall become my arch nemesis. All villians need a good superhero that keeps them on their toes to be all the super evil they can be.

I want an Ipod touch so baaaadddd!!! I use a sony PSP as sort of a poor man's Ipod touch. My only issue if I had one is they don't really have a good word processing program in them. I'm hoping that will change, or I may get a notebook someday when I can ever save up the moola to even look at them seriously.

At Foolsfitness our gyms are run by quarter vending slots.- Alan

Christine said...

CONGRATS ON THE RUNNING! That's fantastic!

Mark said...

Hey congratulations on the new milestone (literally!) :)

It's tough to push boundaries and excel, but you're proof that dedication pays off. Well done.

John Romeo Alpha said...

Congrats on the run! That itouch is yours!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

That Stages of Change link is sobering.

That's a great accomplishment, Clyde.

Allan said...

Imagine if you saw that ad, invested $1000 and never touched it. With splits, growth and the reinvestment of the dividends, the $1000 from 1985 when the Apple 2C was the rage would be worth,,, wait for it...$300,545.00 today... Hmm, shoulda,,,

Raegun said...

Congratulations on running 3.1 Clyde!!! This is such an accomplishment and you should be proud of how far you've come.

I can totally relate to your post. I have been doing the Couch to 5k program for over a month now and I play the mental game every week when the amount of running time increases. I find myself thinking "run for 6 minutes straight?! No way!", and then feel really silly when I realize how easy it can sometimes be. My mind always seems to say "I can't" even though my body is probably okay with it.

Let me know if you have any other tips for getting over the mental hurdle, Clyde. You are my Yoda!

Rae
xx