Sunday, September 26, 2010

50 Miles by Monday Challenge - The Re-Cap

It is Sunday night as I write this and I wanted to give you the re-cap of this challenge I did over the past weekend.  If you are just tuning in, I was recently admitting to all of you that I had become a bit lax about my exercise and my food choices.  That was this post.

So, within a minute, Patrick Mahoney challenged me to get in "50 miles" asap to basically get my tail in gear.   I accepted here.  I agreed to walk, run or cycle 50 miles from Friday morning to Sunday night.  No big deal to many of you cyclists out there, but it was a big challenge for me.

I did it all on the bike:
Friday morning:  13 miles
Saturday afternoon:  13 miles
Sunday morning:  13 miles with Samson (my boy)
Sunday afternoon:  11.7 miles with Samson (again!)

We got some great video of me riding through the countryside.  Maybe I shouldn't have worn my suit?!?  Anyway, check it out (at least for the first 90 seconds)! 

Many of you joined in also!  Here's the list of people that committed to do this challenge with me:
  • Kovas agreed to do 40 miles.
  • Luke was in for 30 miles.
  • Raegun - 25 miles
  • Lucas - 15 miles
  • Caratunk Girl - 30 miles
  • Matty O - Matty does 50 miles all the time, but is lifting this weekend.
  • Happy Fun Pants - 15 miles
  • Lesley - doing a half-marathon today, but will do 50 miles over the next week.
  • TRI714 - joined in for 50 miles
  • KJ - 50 miles
  • Sarah (Big Mummy) - 15 miles
  • and Patrick Mahoney, yes the one who started all of this, committed to 100!  Way to throw down the challenge and back it up with a large challenge for yourself!
Please comment and let us know how you all did! 

Patrick, thanks for the challenge.  Look at that mileage!  How much work would we have done without the challenge?  This is just another reason why these blogs are so valuable to me.   

I am now inspired and am working on a challenge for any or all of us in the month of October.  It will be for pounds, mileage, or basically whatever you want,...oh, and beer.  I think it would be fun to have a logo or banner and I have an idea for the look, but don't have the graphics skills.  So, if any of you want to volunteer to help me with a logo, I would sure appreciate it.  Please e-mail me at bigclydesdale@gmail.com and we can work on it. 

Regardless, I'll be doing an October Challenge and details will come soon.

Also, Samson will do a report soon also on his training for El Tour de Tucson.  Thanks for continuing to encourage him.  He is progressing well.

Keep moving everyone! 

Big Clyde

14 comments:

Miss S. said...

Awesome-I love hearing when you meet your goals. I especially love that you keep your son involved. I hope you pat yourself on the back for positivley shaping his future.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Excellent job BC, way to go. I can help you with banner if you'd like.

My weekend went down like this:

Friday - 36.68 Bike/3.58 Run
Saturday - 13.10 Run
Sunday - 47.16 Bike

Thomas said...

Great job in crushing the challenge, keep it up!

I love Mr Bean. Wish I have his energy!

Scuttleboose said...

Wow - what a great challenge victory! Congrats! I also love the video (in particular, your introduction to it).

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Way to go getting the miles in! I did:

9 miles cycling Friday
9 miles running Saturday
20 miles cycling Sunday
30 minutes (3 miles?) running Sunday with m son

Bubba said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Way to get back on track!

Lucas said...

GOAL: 15 miles
2 miles run/walk treadmill on Saturday
17 mile bike ride Sunday
1 mile walk to/from grocery Sunday
TOTAL: 20!
Thanks for the challenge. I had a huge food splurge on Saturday night but this challenge helped keep me on track!

HILARIOUS video!

Raegun said...

Yeaaaa! Congrats on reaching your goal, Clyde. I love the video too - that is one of my favourite songs. ;)

I completely surprised myself and managed to accomplish my mileage. I had to do more on the bike than I had hoped, but it was the perfect way to get back into the swing of things now that I'm over my cold:
Ran: 6 miles
Walked: 8 miles
Biked: 11 miles

I'm looking forward to your October challenge!
Rae
xo

Matty O said...

Great video hahaha.

AWESOME JOB! Amazing what a little friendly nudge will do for you, right?!

I got my lifting session in and I got my wife to join me too. Working out is contagious I tell you!

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the next challenge.

TRI714 said...

should have started Friday! Got in 40 on the bike saturday and and hour of core training. that was it fell short on 50 miles but really enjoyed the ride and work out. Oh I also enjoyed life :-) great job.

Happy Fun Pants said...

WAY TO GO! :)

I didn't start my challenge until Saturday morning...and I figured that the weekend really counted from when I left work til when I returned. :)

I did
2 miles running on Saturday.
6 miles biking on Saturday.
3 miles running this morning
4 miles biking this morning.

Actually there were tenths of miles in there too, but I DID IT. :)

Thanks for the challenge. I'm pretty sure I would've been a slug this whole weekend if you hadn't thought of this great idea. :)

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

As you know, I only run, so hitting 50 miles is a longer struggle for myself, so I gave myself Sunday - Saturday. I'm happy to report this Monday afternoon, that I am already at 21.5 miles. I've never done this amount of mileage in a week, so it's definitely a challenge, will let you know how it ends up.

Debby said...

Looking forward to the October challenge!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Awesome stuff y'all. Maybe I'll catch the next one.