Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Samson, The Clydesdale Colt

(Thanks to all of you who shared your upcoming goals and challenges in my previous post.  I am again inspired and will enjoy following along.)


Samson, The Clydesdale Colt
Great news! Samson, my middle child, recently agreed to do the 35-mile El Tour de Tucson with me in late November (except the organizers have just stretched it out to be 40 miles!).

Samson is a not an experienced cyclist (how could he be at 11-years-old?). He only has really been riding for about the past two years, but we rode the 12-mile route of the Tour de Cure this year, so he's got one race under his belt.

One benefit that he has going for him is his determination. When he chooses to go after something, he is disciplined and focused. He has also seen how I was horribly out of shape last year and through a lot of training, completed my first cycling race, the 2009 El Tour.

His friends recently heard about his decision to do this and like many 6th grade boys, they were not encouraging.  They teased, telling him that he couldn't do it, that he's not even an athlete, that he doesn't have the stamina, etc.  These are statements that he wrestles with internally as well.  But he knows that I felt the same way a year ago and he has seen my progress.

We will do this together and it will be a life-changing event for him. 

From time to time, I will ask Samson to share his progress on training, thoughts on the upcoming race, etc. Please give him the same encouragement (or more!) that you have given me.  His e-mail is mightyaz103@comcast.net

Big Clyde

19 comments:

Ann (-8 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

That is cool, Patrick. His friends must be jealous. Some people talk about doing stuff, a a few are doers. Samson is a doer! How many OTHER 11 year old boys can say they are competing in a 40 mile race? I don't think Lance even did that. We all have to start somewhere, right? And, even if Samson decides to focus on some other sport someday, he will always be able to look back on the time he did the 40-mile with dear old dad. Like I said, pretty cool!

Ann (-8 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

LOL Said Patrick, meant Clyde!! LOL Gotta get that cup of coffee. My nephew is visiting (his name is Patrick), can't talk to him and type at the same time. Yikes!

Allan said...

Awesome, sounds great...

Dianne Stauber said...

What an awesome bonding experience for you and your son. :-) Can't wait to hear all about this!

Fat Daddy said...

Man that is awesome. One of the biggst highlights of my diet...heck my life...was when my boys ran a 5K with me this past Thanksgiving. It really brought us together.

Awesome post dude. Enjoy the ride.

Katy said...

I love that you include your son! He's adorable.

Raegun said...

It's so fabulous that you have been such a positive role model for your son. What a great adventure the two of you will have as you train and conquer this race! I look forward to following your journey.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Just think how proud Samson will be to finish and he really doesn't need to rub it in those boys' faces, he really doesn't. Just a little extra swagger.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Man 6th graders. I'll email him for sure. Is it OK if I tell him the trick is to stay on your wheel for the entire race and then in the last 100 meters break off and speed by you?

Is there a charity element to this race?

Caratunk Girl said...

That is so awesome!! It is so cool you have been such a role model to him, and that he wants to do it!! Is he going to do a guest post on your blog to talk about the ride?? That would be cool!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

I think this is completely awesome. Just signing my oldest 2 up for 1 mile races (running) has been an amazing experience. As we accomplish these goals that seem so big to us, even more important is what we are teaching our kids through accomplishing them.

Andrew Opala said...

Excellent! I'd love to have someone along side me while cycling. It's great to get the family involved!

Susietri said...

Pretty impressive, you've been a great role model.

Samson said...

Thank you all for your support! I'm so excited!
~Samson

Lucas said...

That is WAY exciting Clyde! And think of the positive example you are providing! My folks NEVER did stuff like that with me. I know Samson will do a GREAT job and I can't wait to read all about it.

Syl said...

what a great thing your son is doing. You have been a great role model for him!
Samson you are going to rock it! Can't wait to hear about it!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

It will not only be life changing for him, but can put him on a path to health for life! I love that.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, I just got home from work, and you have 17 comments already. You are really inspiring people!

I just read your post to my 10 year old son, who just started biking. Maybe this will be us someday.

Patrick said...

Awesome new challenge for you and him. Awesome and fun!