Sunday, September 12, 2010

Samson's El Tour Training

Hello, this is Samson, filling you in on my quest to ride 40 miles in the El Tour de Tucson on 11/20.

On Thursday, we started our training with 6.5 miles…and one stop. It felt really easy because last time I rode it was about 4 months ago and we stopped for rest much more often. In this picture on the right, we had our first stop and only stop. I didn’t even eat the ‘Mini Oreos’ in my back pocket (although my brain said yes but my legs and bike said no.) When we came home, I was tired but that’s because the last stretch was up to our house and it’s really steep. But you know if you work out before you sleep, you sleep like a baby.  And I slept like a happy baby.

On Saturday we rode more than double that, 13.5 miles! We stopped three times for a rest for a minute or two and I realized it was probably because that morning we went to McDonald’s for breakfast. It’s not that I don’t like McDonald’s, every once in a while, I do. It’s just that you should NEVER EVER EVER eat Mickey D’s before you go for a long bike ride, never. Anyway, this time I ate all my cookies. We did our loop twice and drank most of my water and poured the rest on my face and drank some of my dad’s extra water. When we came home there was no one there. So we just sat there and drank green tea with mixed berry flavor and had lunch, then frozen fat-free pudding.

I am glad to be doing this and it will be my biggest challenge ever.  The rides are fun, but my legs got tired on the 13.5 mile ride and mostly, my rear-end got really sore...hope that gets better next week.

The plan this Sunday was to ride the 13.5 again but I had homework and I was tired. So I will try to ride once more during the week and two longer rides next weekend.  I’ll fill you in next Sunday.

My Dad and I set some goals for two longer rides: 
25 miles by 10/2
40 miles by 10/31

Thanks for the e-mails and the good wishes. 

Samson
mightyaz103@comcast.net

15 comments:

spunkysuzi said...

Wow what a great start to your training!! You guys are going to make an unbeatable team.
I total understand the sore rear end :)
When i'm on my bike tomorrow i'll be thinking that if you can do what your doing i can do whatever i put my mind to.
Have a great week and i can't wait for an update.

Lose Weight said...

hey!! you have a wonderful blog. thanks for sharing your weight lost progress here. keep it up and never give up. you can do it.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Wow, Samson... considering it's been awhile since you rode last, it's awesome that you got 13.5 miles in. I understand why you needed to take Sunday off, and it's best to listen to your body when it tells you to rest.

I'm going to be thinking about oreos on my next run now!!!

Good luck on your training. Look forward to next week's report. (I bet dad is beaming with pride.)

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Samson, my son is 10. We're going to follow your progress. So I assume from the picture you're riding at night? Stay safe!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Samson, not to worry, the rear-end toughens up quite quickly...

Lucas said...

You are amazing! And such a GOOD writer, just like your dad. Keep up the great work Samson! I'm so proud of you for taking on this challenge. Yesterday for the first time ever, I rode 43 miles and that was my longest ride and I'm 41 years old!!! You are doing this at such a young age and I think it's great. And I agree with Patrick, in time, your backside will get used to the bike seat and it won't hurt as much. Keep on peddling!

Samson said...

Thanks so much. You guys have been kind to my dad with all of his training and now I get to feel the encouragement thank you so much!

~Samson

Raegun said...

Samson, thank you for sharing your experiences on the blog. It is fantastic that you are working towards these goals with your dad by your side - you two will be able to accomplish anything you put your minds to!

I Said So... said...

Great work, Samson. You write so well. I love that you are doing this with your DAD!

:)

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Nice going on the training - tell your dad no more McD's!

Dianne Stauber said...

Samson, what a great job!!! I'm so excited to be following your progress! :-)

Scuttleboose said...

Great job on the bike riding! :) I have been meaning to send you a comment saying CONGRATULATIONS on meeting your goal earlier this month, but I have been so behind on my reading because I am currently overseas. I did, however, take a quick peek to see if you made your goal, and I was very impressed! :)

Ann (-8 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

13.5 miles ALREADY?! That is more than 25% of the total ride for which you are training! The sore backside is the first thing I thought of, when your father said the two of you were going to do a 40-mile ride together. OUCH! (I hope that feels better soon.) Terrific job so far. That was pretty cool, that you had so few stops too. Keep up the excellent training, and you'll make that 40-mile bike ride seem like a breeze ...

Patrick said...

Those goals seem like fine goals and based on your progress so far should be goals you can hit. So homework, can't your dad rig a way you can ride & do your homework at the same time? Now that sounds like a great father - son project, no?

zbsports said...

This is a very inspiring story to read, thanks for sharing more good thoughts. Nice blog too.