Thursday, September 16, 2010

Saturday Morning Breakfast

Choices, choices, choices...

Last Saturday, I had a nice weigh-in, then I was ready to eat!  My two boys and I were bachelors because our women did a sleepover at a friends house where they watched "Steel Magnolias".  This is definitely a chick-flick (though I have seen it more times than I care to admit), so the boys and I opted out.

So, the boys decided they wanted breakfast out.  As usual, they chose McDonalds which is so cheap and I reluctantly must admit, very tasty.  The sausage egg mcmuffins are my favorite, but I also like those little sausage burritos and I believe that they put crack cocaine in their pancakes, because they call to me...maybe the best pancakes anywhere! 

But we had one stop to make first.  We drove to Subway, which is nearby.  They said "welcome back" because our family is in there a bit more often since I started The Clydesdale Project...the kids even prefer it to McDonalds for lunch or dinner! 

I ordered three "egg white melts".  Samson looked at me like I was crazy, for ordering three.  It was a little heavy for my normal breakfast, but at 160 calories each, it only totalled 480 calories.  Not bad for a Saturday breakfast, when I knew we'd be cycling at least 13 miles that day.  I added spinach and tomatoes.  Tasty.

Then, we went to McDonald's for the boys.  CuppaJoe ordered the pancakes and Samson ordered two Sausage McMuffin with Eggs.  He also got a deep-fried "hashbrowns" that came with it.  Each "muffin" was 450 calories and the hashbrowns were 150.  Total?  1,050. 

Samson (12 years old) couldn't believe it.  How can one restaurant make a egg/meat/english muffin for 160 calories vs. another one (McDonald's) at 450 calories?    Sure, it is ham vs. sausage and egg whites vs. eggs, but Subway wants to focus on lower-cal options and fresh veggies.  McDonald's doesn't.  The responsibility is ours to make the right choices.

This was just another eye-opening experience as I continue on this path toward better eating...and passing along those lessons to my family.

Big Clyde

10 comments:

Andrew Opala said...

Both are tasty and both have their place. If I had one last request before my execution it would be a Sausage McMuffin (and a jumbo strawberry milkshake)!

Jessica said...

I use the subway breakfast sandwich as my "go to" breakfast when we are traveling! I am so thankful for that option!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

And here I was not even knowing subway *had* breakfast. Now I know and am armed!!! My weakness is Chick-fil-a breakfast.

Patrick said...

I have not tried Subways breakfast eats yet. Someday when pressed I may, but Subway is not on my preferred list at present. Certainly with the pan to bike around the glode you burned those calories off and then some.

Ann (-7 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

It is a real eye-opener for Samson, the marathon biker in training! How much better will he be, having learned the lessons early. Good job, Clyde, in your selection ond in helping the boys see what good analysis and assessment can do for them.

Patrick Mahoney said...

One of my favorite things is to wake up late (by accident) and thus have to take Ian to Subway for breakfast before school. He has a sandwich (ham & cheese on wheat english muffin), I have a coffee, and we debate Star Wars. Priceless moment.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Great point. I read this to my son. He was amazed. My wife is out of town and I'm in survival mode. There is a Subway right on my way to work - might have to go!

One caution: even though those three sandwiches are less than 500 calories, combined they are just over 2000 mg of sodium!!! Depending whose daily allowance you believe, that's either just under or over a full day's worth of sodium. So go easy.

Lucas said...

I love the make it at home yourself version, with egg whites and laughing cow and turkey bacon and whole wheat muffins! A tad more work than the drive up window, but a whole lot more control over flavor, sodium, fat, calories, etc. And pretty easy to make and assemble. I'm impressed that you chose to make two stops instead of caving and crammy's the Mickey Dee's down your throat. :)

fatty blogsticks said...

that subway muffin actually looks pretty tasty. the choice is a no brainer when you look at those numbers. crazy. like lucas says above, good on you for making the extra effort to spare yourself those extra (hundred) calories!

Susietri said...

That is a real eye-opener. Good proof that you can turn out fast food that's not quite so deadly. Nice willpower on getting yours from Subway - I confess to a love affair with McDonald's breakfasts. They used to pick me up after a night of too many adult bevies but now they work post race. I feel about the same it seems.