Saturday, September 4, 2010

Stages of Change - Garrett's Passing

I recently learned about the death of a fellow blogger, Garrett from Stages of Change blog.  I didn't know him (even his actual name), but I followed his blog for many months and I always cared for him and admired his openness in sharing his struggles.   I don't know how he died, but please know that his recent posts were very positive and even exciting.  He wrote that he used to reflect on hopelessness and denial.  But his new attitude as about light and truth.  His last lines of his last post were these words:

"I strive now to be about success, self-accountability, and moderation."

He was there.  I also will work to be there. 

I commented a few times that he was a much better writer than me, so I would like to share something that he wrote that really inspired me. 

"It's about what you believe, and more importantly, it's about the actions you take to create, or to change, what you believe that matters.



Actions lead sometimes.


Actions lead sometimes and then our beliefs follow.


And then it's all synergy baby.


Momentum.


And it's up to us whether those actions, beliefs, and momentum are positive or negative.


It's up to me.


Should I, in the long-term, succeed or fail, I will always know, and be absolutely correct, that the fact is... it's only ever been up to me.


I choose to acknowledge the truth that this is a process.


A process that can take a massive amount of effort and time and tenacity and commitment.


But a "hard" process?


meh...


Only if I let it be."

10 comments:

midlife_swimmer said...

:)

Debby said...

That's so sad. We follow bloggers here and sometimes it's hard to remember we don't know them. Their sadness affects us...their happiness is shared.

I don't necessarily think it's about the words all the time, or how they're written in the blog. It's what's in your heart...you're sharing and we all learn from each other.

I'm sorry we lost a fellow blogger.

Debbie said...

I heard about him on another blog. I did not follow his blog, but I was sad to here about it. :)

Patrick said...

I was not a follower of Garrett's blog, tough news to hear even though he was unknown to me. As he said, we need to be about success, self-accountability, and moderation.

spunkysuzi said...

I was a reader of his blog and i was very upset to hear about his passing. He is at peace now.

Ann (-6.5 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

Nice post, Clyde. Garrett sounded like a good guy. I'm glad you will benefit from some of his wisdom.

Lucas said...

Thanks for spreading the inspiration around. It's good for all of us.

Scarlet Simple said...

I am just catching up and I honestly had no idea. Garret was a really great guy, he inspired me. That's really tough news.

Epiphany said...

I know you all cared for him and I know how hard it is to not know what happend so for peace of mind........ he died in his sleep of congestive heart failure. He was the love of my life and I miss him so much. I am honoring him by continuing his fight to lose weight. I am so sorry for everyones loss.

Happy Fun Pants said...

I really loved his blog too. He was such a great writer! Do you know how I can send flowers, a card, or SOMETHING to his family to let them know that he touched my life?

Sorry for the delay - I've been away and completely unaware.