Monday, September 6, 2010

Weigh In - Week 27 Big Clyde's First 50!

Well, it happened.  I'll confess now that on Saturday morning, I was surprised to see my exact target on the scale:  275!  This was my target weight to hit by Labor Day (Monday) and I am so pleased to be here. 

My family took me to our local Apple store to get the much-desired iPod Touch. Unfortunately, they were not in stock, so I ordered one online. The engraving will read "Big Clyde's First 50!" and "The Clydesdale Project".

Here's a picture of me and Mrs. Clyde outside the Apple store.  Did I smudge your lipstick, babe?
I have never been one to lose, then re-gain weight in big swings (my previous talent was strictly in slowly GAINING weight).   So, this 50 pound loss in 6 months is the largest weight loss I have ever experienced.  Many of you have done more than this and I am inspired by others' success as well, regardless of the number.  For a former skeptic like me, however, this just happens to be a shocking and wonderful result.  Thanks for following along. 

What's next?
The Happy Clydesdale
Today, tomorrow, etc. - make sure that I don't gain it back as I battle a nasty little cold.  Hopefully, I'll do my virtual 5K later today, but maybe not.  Trust me, it will be in the next few days.  I want to honor the commitment of running it, leaving all the effort on the road.

Races - I have several 5K races and two cycling races this fall.  The grand-daddy of them all will be El Tour de Tucson with my boy and my good friend.  It will be a challenge for both of them, but a great opportunity to show my son that, like his father, he can do "hard things" with slow and steady effort.  As for me, I have to run a 5K in under 30 minutes by 1/1/11.

Weight - I have started to think of a goal weight and I would guess it is about 235 or 230.  But the new goal number on the wall is 250.  My goal is to hit that by my birthday in early December.  Approx two pounds per week.  Seems attainable, but only if I keep working steadily.  It's good to have goals.

I confess that I have felt a bit selfish over the past two months.  I accepted this big challenge from my wife and have written about it often, yet so many of you are doing fantastic things (with even greater results) every week.  My focus for the next several weeks will be to blog about myself a bit less and instead, follow your's more and work toward the races and goals that I have in my near future.   I guess I just want to thank you for all of the cheering and encouragement on Mrs. Clyde's iTouchallenge. 

Finally, I also want to thank my wonderful wife and kids for constantly encouraging me and never letting obstacles get in my way when it comes to these changes in my life.  I know that the concerns over calories, the weird workout hours and even the expense can be tedious at times, but you are always supportive and I am very grateful.

Big Clyde

27 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

A big congratulations to you! Amazing work to get where you are now and setting yet another ambitious goal.

Allan said...

I am all faklept, a little teary, and then, I ask, where is your hair.. Doesn't that count for poundage also? Very proud you reached the goal, ordered the toy, and are prepared for more !! Awesome and inspiring daily,.

Matty O said...

Beautiful man!!! That is an awesome job.

I knew you would hit your target you are determined and heck, who doesn't want an ITouch?!

I love that you plan on staying active and have already registered for races, this is a great way to stay motivated. The lessons you have shown your kids though and taught them about healthy living is the most important thing.

Good job and keep up the awesome work!

William Hanson said...

Great job on the weigh-in. Big congrats to you...

Miss S. said...

Woot!! Excellent job! Enjoy your new Ipod.

Debby said...

Holy shit!!! You did it!!!! Wooohoooo!!!! I'm really proud of you.

Selfisih? This is your blog dude!!! We glean tidbits from what you write about you. Keep it up.

I loved the picture. I don't remember seeing any of you before. Now I can put a face to the name...and it's better than Andre!

Caratunk Girl said...

YEAH! Congratulations!! All that hard work paid off. Amazing weight loss. The plan to stay active is super smart, along with keeping up your new habits, not falling into old ones (my downfall). Just think, 6 mos ago this seemed inconceivable, right?? See? You can do anything you want to!

spunkysuzi said...

I knew you do it :) And i love hearing about what's working for you!!
Look at you now, absolutely awesome!!!

Moving Mertle said...

GREAT JOB!!! You're awesome. Did you sign the song from "Rocky" and run around your house with hands up high all day?

Cool engraving too. Can't wait to hear about the next challenge.

Ann (-6.5 lbs in 60 lb challenge) said...

Clyde, what fantastic news! Congratulations!! I know how hard you worked - also, super kudos for thanking the other members of Team Clydsdale. I know your wife and children are your greatest fans and support!! Anyway, that was a neat thing to do. I didn't know the IPod Touch could be engraved. Good job! Um, I don't know if you noticed this, but you don't look like a Clydsdale in your photo. It'll be fun to watch you on your next goal challenge (250 by your early December birthday) ... think of a good reward (aside from improved health, of course)! Good luck with your 5K personal best too. xx

Lucas said...

Congrats Dude! And not to dog on The Giant, but you are WAY better lookin' than Andre. Brave man, posting a pic. You MUST be feelin' sassy! :) Keep up the awesome work. I have no doubt you will reach your December goal. My big kickoff challenge starts tomorrow! Here I go!!!

Bookgirl95 said...

Good job Dad! I'm so proud of you!!!!!!!! It must feel awesome. And I like the picture of you and Mom. :)
Bookgirl95

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde,congratulations. You look great in your pic, too - well on your way to fitness. I love how you've included your family in this. Good luck with your races this fall. I'm especially looking forward to hearing about the biking.

Jams said...

I'm so glad you made it! Enjoy the iTouch! You worked hard for it!!!!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Congrats man, that is awesome. And don't stop writing about yourself, it's how we all learn from each other. You look great man, no joke.

Patrick said...

Hey Clyde - you did it! Never a doubt here, you gave no reason to believe this was not going to happen. WELL DONE!

Your goal for the 250 by December is very doable - good for you for setting this goal and not just resting at 275.

Oh, you are looking healthy and in control in that picture. But, watch out for that cactus coming up from behind; seems it is looking to wrap its arms around you.

275, accomplished!
250, Go Gett'em!

RockStarTri said...

congrats! looking good!

Raegun said...

I couldn't wait to check in on your blog today because I KNEW you could do it! Congratulations, Clyde. Enjoy your well-deserved iTouch. Your blog is a great reminder that a clear vision and a good plan can help one achieve their goals. Continued success!
Rae xx
PS - I managed to lose 12 pounds through the virtual iTouch challenge support group, lol.

Finding The Thin Within said...

Awesome job!!! Isn't it wonderful when you achieve a goal that you've set for yourself and worked hard for? Enjoy this victory! You are an inspiration.

<3 Katie
www.katie-fttw.blogspot.com

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Woo-hoo!!! I bet Mrs. Clyde was so proud too. What a great accomplishment.

And, uh, this is your blog... we come here to read about you and your achievements and family. I think it's awesome. I really enjoy going to everyone's different blogs to read their stories and updates. Keep on with the posts about YOU.

Awesome job...

John Romeo Alpha said...

Congratulations Not-So-Big Clyde! That ipod will be a great reminder in the future of where you came from, and where you want to go.

Miz said...

o
k
a
y
Im late to this but chiming in with the CONGRATS none the less.

MizFit

Tammy said...

I love that you hit that goal by Labor Day...that is so awesome!! And all thanks to your hard work and dedication...keep on truckin'! :)

Dianne Stauber said...

How awesome! Congratulations!!!! I've lost 37 so far in my own Battle of the Butt...thanks for inspiring me! :)

Enjoy that new iTouch! I can't even get the hubby to buy me a granola bar. :) LOL

bbubblyb said...

Way to go!!! I don't know if I've ever posted here but I have been reading. So happy for you. You look terrific.

Susietri said...

wow you look great

fatty blogsticks said...

you are AMAZING! love both the pictures, and love how inspirational you are. yay you!