Friday, October 8, 2010

Big Clyde does the Tour de Fat!

This is shaping up to be an interesting week.    It started with horrendous storms and it will end with Big Clyde being in a parade, wearing a goofy costume. 

We started with a series of stormy days, rare for this time of year in the desert.  Here are a few pics:

The saddest, wettest, rainiest palm tree.




















My rainy street, before the thunder, lightning and downpour came.



















 
I have been very behind in following others' blogs recently and I am hoping to catch up and see how everyone is doing.  I have not been very disciplined this week on exercise or diet, but I am off work for the next 4 days and we have several rides planned.  This will be a good catch-up period for me with my OktoberFast mileage goals, a BIG ride weekend for Samson (yes, we are planning on a 25-mile ride!), and I will get back on track with my calorie budget.  I'll do the usual weekly OktoberFast update on Sunday night.  Please comment in and let us know how you are all doing.

And now, the Oktoberfest Beer Review.  First, I'll tell you that I like beer, but I don't drink it much.  I am not a snob, but if I'm going to have a beer, I want it to be something good.  So, this week I bought a sixer of Sierra Nevada's Tumbler amber ale.  
Sierra Nevada's Tumbler
 Quick review:  tasty, creamy, mellow.  If you don't drink beer, imagine that it was a bit like caramel.  I loved it. 

Now, I just need some big tuba player and my wife to wear one of those beer wench costumes and I will truly be in the Oktoberfest spirit.  Wish me luck.

Tomorrow, my wife and I will join some friends up in Phoenix at the Tour de Fat, an event sponsored by New Belgium Brewing Company.  I'll post pictures, but here's a few from when Katy went to the one in Denver last month.

And finally, I received something in the mail yesterday.  It was a certificate from the organizers of the El Tour de Tucson 5K run that I did two weeks ago.  I already wrote about the race here.  They sent me a certificate for finishing in 3rd place in my age group!  I already knew that this is where I ranked (there were only five guys in my age/gender group), but this was the first time in my life that I ever "placed" in a racePretty exciting and it makes me wonder why I went for so many years without trying to exercise.  At age 44, I am changing my life.  Maybe, I'll be #1 in my age group in a future race!

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Big Clyde

13 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the AG poduim spot

spunkysuzi said...

Standing ovation!!!!!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Nice podium and definitely you'll be moving up those steps! Have a great weekend.

Matty O said...

Dude awesome podium. That makes it worth so much more doesn't it?!

Love the beer pic :) I have been abstaining all week since I have been sick. Trying to kick this so I can get a good time Sunday.

Take it easy and have fun!

Lucas said...

Congrats on your bronze! SO exciting! And I heard about those storms. My friends in Phoenix said it hailed! Hurrah for monsoon season!

TRI714 said...

Podium, is a podium ! congrats on that. And that beer looks awesome. But that's coming from an American Irishman who thinks Guiness should be concidered a food. I too am not drinking until after the 16th race, but I look forward to putting a couple back.
have fun ..

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

PLACED IN A RACE!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

Mmmmm...beer.

Raegun said...

Congrats on placing - way to go!!!!!
My OctoberFast challenge is going pretty well. I have managed to avoid the drive-thru so far (no caffeine for the whole month!) AND I've put in 10/50 miles running. I've got some catching up to do this weekend on the running. :)

Patrick Mahoney said...

Podium, heck yes! Congrats!

RockStarTri said...

You already are number 1. Congrats!

pippasporch said...

Clyde, I am so glad I found you! I took up cycling at the end of September (so far on a stationary bike) and set myself the goal of virtually riding through the entire Tour de France 2010 before the next Tour de France ends.

Respect for your hefty 200mile goal for October - I'll be looking up to you as I build my own stamina.

Luke said...

look forward to the tour de fat pics!

Caratunk Girl said...

Whahooo!! AG placement!! That is so awesome! It must feel so good! I am so excited for you, what an awesome achievement!