Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Am Obsessed with Shiny Objects

When I went to the Tour de Fat, I dressed like a fool (and was the most popular Viking there).  But my bike?  It was as serious as it could be:  a subtle grey frame with properly maintained gears, all fixtures in black, grey or light grey.  The bike looked like it was giving it's daughter away at her wedding.  It looked like a bank manager.  My bike looks like a paperclip on wheels.  Where's the fun or style in that?


The classic Schwinn Stingray

But I saw so many OUTRAGEOUS bikes there.  I saw my cool childhood Schwinn Sting-Ray with the 3-speed shifter on the center bar and the green banana seat.  I saw so much chrome, so much color, so much nostalgia.  These people weren't monitoring their average speeds or cadence levels on their bike computers.  They were cruising on their cool bikes simply because it was fun.


So, I suggested to our group that we all ought to buy some low-cost, Craigslist vintage bikes for us to cruise in our neighborhood (we all live in the same hood).   My friend TIG ("because he's a TIG welder") said that there is a new pub going in to our neighborhood and we should ride our bikes there.  Done and done.


I am now obsessed.  I can't help myself.  I keep looking online at these gorgeous, vintage bikes that remind me of my childhood.  I want one.  A shiny one.

I think I will settle on Schwinn's from the early 60's to the 70's.  Let the good times roll.

Tell me about your childhood bike!

11 comments:

Lanie Painie said...

Suh-whEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEt!

Raegun said...

My first "bike" was the classic, plastic, Big Wheel. In WonderWoman red/blue/yellow, of course. From there I graduated to an old orange hand-me-down with training wheels. My mom told me that I could get a new bike when I learned to ride without the training wheels and within 2 hours she came outside to find me rippin' around the driveway without training wheels. Talk about incentive! I graduated to a black BMX with # 100 on the front. ;) Did I mention I was a bit of a tomboy? ;)

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Oh, I want to see this!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Huffy Pro Thunder...

Ann (-17 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

I love it! My first two-wheeler was a Schwinn. It will forever be my first love (of my bikes). I wish I still had that, just to look at (because my mid-40s body will never been thin enough to fit on a six year old's bike). LOL

I received my order from CSN.com, by the way. Thank you again for that wonderful giveaway! That company did a fantastic job in speedy deliver AND in packaging. I'll definitely order from them again, and to think I never heard of them before your contest!

xx

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Same Schwinn as pictured above, but yellow. It's the bike I learned how to do wheelies and jumps on, pre-BMX. My commuter bike is an older Schwinn Traveller, my favorite thing is the Schwinn Chicago badge. Would love to make it a single speed but can't make myself put money into it yet.

jase said...

Wow, that is a beautiful bike from the past. I think it is similar to what we call a Chopper in the UK. How i wanted a Chopper!!

Lucas said...

Purple. Sparkly purple banana seat. White tires. Purple handlebars. Peddle brakes. How do I remember that? :)

Christina said...

Vintager bikes are awesome!!! Um, I still ride my childhood bike. I was a tall middle-schooler, and that was only like 10 years ago. So, my childhood bike is the sweet mountain bike that I ride with Ramsey. :)

Caratunk Girl said...

I am like Dory on Finding Nemo with shiny stuff.

heather said...

That Stingray is sweet! Wish I still had my first bike. I washed it weekly and rubbed some kind of leather stuff on the seat (even though it was vinyl). Loved it!