Friday, October 22, 2010

I'm Not Old, I'm "Vintage"

Does anyone want to buy my old couch?  It's a classic, made in the mid-1960's?  By the way, it is still in it's original condition with factory upholstery.  Sure, there's some wear and tear, but that only adds to the charm of an authentic classic!

I have some other things to sell that are rare collectibles!  How about one of my classic washing machines?!  They are untouched and left in their original condition.  Yes, the parts are somewhat hard to find and new models are much more efficient, but these are true classics from the golden age of washing machines.  These beauties are extremely valuable because of the genuine rust spots.  You can't fake that corrosion.  It's a sign of beauty!

Okay, some old things went away because they needed to.  They fell out of fashion.  Technology, design and efficiency improved and new models came along.  The "old" things are better left in our past.

But there is something very cool about certain classic or vintage products and I realize now that I am obsessed with the beauty and coolness of vintage bicycles.

I have been writing about this in the few previous blog posts, so please forgive me for revisiting this topic.  But I have been intrigued to read a few other blogs that have written about their vintage bikes.  Check out these two links:   Simply Bike and Fool's Fitness.  In fact, on the link for Fool's Fitness, you can even see a comment that I left in May where I expressed my desire to get a vintage bike someday.

My point, obviously, is that vintage bikes are cool.  I can picture myself atop one now, the envy of the neighborhood.

I'll ride one tomorrow and hopefully, if the glass slipper fits, it will be mine.

(By the way, some of you have asked about the many Andre the Giant pictures that I use on this site.  I love Andre from the Princess Bride movie and I once saw him struggling outside of a Tokyo hotel that we were both staying at.  I felt badly for him and in some ways, I identify with being always the biggest/tallest guy in the room...always.  So, I usually like to use pictures of him as the face of Big Clyde.  Where do I get the pictures?  Internet, baby, internet.  He was a celebrity and since I started the blog, I occasionally search for Andre pics while I am on the phone or while watching tv.  I have tons now.  I just drop them in when an image fits a particular topic.)

7 comments:

Lucas said...

I want to hear more about the "struggling" going on outside the Tokyo hotel.

And that is the greatest effing couch I have ever seen in my life!

Fingers crossed for your big fat hoof to fit into that slipper dude!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

I'll sell you my vintage bike, cheap. :)

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

I'm enjoying your obsession vicariously. I still have my baseball card collection and an old trombone that sounds good on certain jazz standards. Looking forward to see the bike you end up with.

Raegun said...

I absolutely love vintage, and bikes are particularly interesting. I hope the 'shoe' fits this weekend Clyde!

Thomas said...

Interesting background story about your "Andre the Giant" avatar. Good luck finding your vintage bike and have a great weekend!

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Enjoy your vintage ride!

Caratunk Girl said...

I want an vintage bike!! I don't want your couch though... :)