Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Samson's El Tour Training - The Mountain Goat

Hi, everyone!  I want to let you know how my training is going.  Dad and I ride together at least once a week, sometimes more.  I think I have really improved and am feeling much more comfortable on the bike.

One goal I had was to ride 25 miles by my 12-year birthday in early October.  I did it!  Man, it was hard! We did many hills and Big Clyde said I pounced up those hills and he said I’m a mountain goat, which explains today's picture.   We went on this long road for a while, and it felt like it was uphill the whole time. Big Clyde said it will be down hill when we come back this way, but it didn’t feel that way at all, it felt no easier the 2nd time.  It was my longest ride beating the previous record of 15 miles. 

When we got up to the top of the hill, my dad took me to this cool area where they built a tunnel into the mountain and we rode into that tunnel.  That was kind of my reward for doing such a long ride!

Dad took this picture whil he was riding next to me.  I thought he was crazy for riding one-handed, but he can do it.

When I started my training, I was not very comfortable on my bike.  I couldn't stand up while riding and I didn't want to go very fast.  Now, I feel I can do almost everything.  I change gears without thinking of it to help me get up hills.  My friends didn't believe that I could do this, but now, they know I can.

Last weekend, we did a 19 mile ride and I knew I could keep going (but was glad to stop).  My next goal is to do 31 miles by 10/31.  This means that I'll be riding my longest 31 mile ride this coming weekend.  The mountain goat will be out there, climbing hills.  Wish me luck!

Samson
The Mountain Goat

11 comments:

MrsFatass said...

Okay, first off, that photo of the mountain goat is fantastic.

Second of all, Samson! Great post! How very cool that you are crushing all these goals and measuring such progress!

Ann (-22 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Awesome update, Samson (do we call you M.G. for short?) ...

That is a great picture of you on the bike too.

I am amazed you have ramped up your riding mileage so significantly, in a relatively short period of time. That is a lot of hard work, but what fantastic results. I bet you have at least one or two friends who are wishing they could do what you do.

Congratulations on your accomplishments, and good luck with this upcoming weekend's marathon (+) ride.

So, how do you think your dad is doing?

Keep up the good work, MG ... I mean, Samson

Matty O said...

Great post! Good job you guys! Glad you are both enjoying getting out and seeing nature powered by your own motors!

Good luck on the 31 mile goal!!!

Diana Tries-A-Tri! said...

Nice mileage Mountain Goat!

spunkysuzi said...

Wow you guys are rocking this challenge!! Go you :)

Andrew Opala said...

Great fun! Keep it up!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

So cool you keep upping the ante!

Lucas said...

Yay for you!!!! Hills are HARD! We tackle some BIG ones around here too but it's so wonderful when those hard hills start to feel easier, and they WILL feel easier eventually. So impressed by your progress. 31 miles is a LONG way but I have faith! You can do anything! Keep up the great work!

Christina said...

WOW, SAMSON!!! You are doing so well! I have a little boy who is about 10 years younger than you, and I hope he grows up to be like you! I love that you are doing this with your dad! You are on amazing guy. :) Doesn't it feel good to push your limits and to do things that your friends didn't think you could do? Keep it up!!!!

TRI714 said...

Dear Mr. Goat,

Having a son come along with enthusiasm is for sure a proud moment for Big Clyde. I love the fact that you are not only hitting your goals but stretching them out. Keep at it and maybe some of your friends will join in ??

Great job, I'm very excited for you.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Samson, very cool story! You're doing a great job. I'm so impressed by how you are taking on more and more challenging goals. My sons are 10 and 7 and I'm going to share your story with them.