Monday, October 11, 2010

Tour de Fat - The Photo Album

This past weekend, we did the Tour de Fat in Tempe, AZ.  Every year, New Belgium Brewery  (http://www.newbegium.com/) holds a bike event that is all about silliness, celebrating bicycling and beer-tasting.  I decided about six months ago that I wanted to do this.  Since I have only been cycling for about a year, my focus has been on mileage training for some races and losing weight.  I wanted to go to this event so that I could just relax and have fun on the bike.  This event was a blast!

Five of us went and we decided to go all out and wear stupid costumes (this was a easy decision given that the event was about 2 hours away from our hometown and no one would know us!).  Lisa wore butterfly wings, Janette was a hippie with a crazy hat and earrings, Jim was a chick-magnet, and Crazy Jim started out as...well, he just wore some funny stuff and played along, until he went weird on the ride home.  I went as a viking.

The beer was tasty, the weather was great and there were crazy bikes there.  Here are the pics:
We met some local natives.


The Bike-B-Q!

They interviewed me for the local news.

One of the more colorful bikes.

Some Bettys also had gone with viking costumes and wanted to take a picture with me!
A very cool, stock Electra stretch cruiser.
He was really intent on sticking his finger in his belly button!  Hello, Ladies!
The Portaoke, for those that like to sing while they pee!
I had this SAME BIKE when I was a kid!
A bunch of bananas.
Good for you, buddy!  Be Yourself.
The Super-Fat Tire?!
3 Frames, 3 Cyclists, 3 Wheels...1 weird bike go very fast in a circle!
...and when that weird bike goes too fast, someone gets thrown!
Ummm, this is not really practical.
An actual Shoe-Bike!  I can now die happy.
It's not easy to ride a bike when carrying a viking sword.
On the way home, Crazy Jim revealed that he had this mask as a backup costume!

Mrs. Clyde and I are very amused by Crazy Jim's mask.   Why bring it out NOW?

...and with the bone and sunglasses...
...and the stupid hat makes the look complete! 

22 comments:

Megan said...

That looks SO FUN! I love bikes and I love beer! Red Hook does a beer/bike thing up here in Washington, but I don't think people dress up. SOmetimes you just gotta kick the serious training for a day and have fun!

midlife_swimmer said...

did they have any tall bikes???? we have lots of tall bikes around here

Pippa said...

Wow, that looks like FUN! And that wolf definitely looks like he's been visiting Red AND her grandma, LOL!

Lucas said...

Ok, that TOTALLY looks like my kind of event! I LOVE freakshows! :) And does that green bike (the one you said you had as a kid) have a SUICIDE shift on it??? AWESOME!! Looks like a blast and I'm so glad you went and felt good and had fun! YAY for YOU!!!

(And I used to live in Scottsdale so I totally had to snort when I saw some of your typical locals in the background, white shirts, kakhi shorts, sunglasses, sandles, attitude...I so do NOT miss it there! :))

pinkvision said...

Loved that shoe bike! Heh - looks like you all had lots of fun!

Bubba said...

Looks like a great time had by all.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

The shoe bike wins it for me. Too great! Looks like a great time.

Patrick Mahoney said...

amazing stuff...

Luke said...

Great!!

Matty O said...

Love this post. HAHA, glad you guys are having fun with the cycling :)

We always try to find the fun in events too :)

Keep it up!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

TEMPE TOWN LAKE!!!!!! I use to work down there!!! What a fun little ride, I love all the costumes.

phatinphx said...

Looks like a great time! I need to get a bike!

fatty blogsticks said...

cool pics. looks like a blast. i just had to let you know that i have been bike-obsessed lately thanks to bloggers like yourself who make it look like so much fun. i plucked up some courage and hired an apollo hybrid mountain bike on the weekend and went cruising around sydney wharves... and LOVED it! i felt like i was ten again. aaaahhh :-) anyway, i'm sold. i've done my research and will be pooling my pennies to make a purchase in the next week or so... looking at the giant cypress 2w 2011. can't wait x

Fat Daddy said...

Man what an event! I am jealous and proud. That looks like so much fun. I need to get my butt back on the bike before the cold stuff sets in, and log in some miles.

I especially loved the bike you had as a kid. I think I had its cousin.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Love the shoe bike, and your comment.

And the debut of Mrs. Clyde! An epic post.

Raegun said...

I love the shoe bike, too. I've officially seen it all....I can die happy now. Ha!

CactusFreek said...

This is a GREAT post! I wish we had an even like that here. It looks like a blast!
It's great to see Mrs Clyde :o)

Madame Cur said...

I enjoyed the pics!

BTW, where you at? I am the only blogger allowed to disappear for long periods of time only to return to ramble, disjointed by lapsed time.

Lucas said...

Hey Clyde. You doing ok? It's been a quiet week for you.

Patrick Mahoney said...

where r u?

heather said...

Love the Bike B Que and what is it with dudes sticking their finger in their bellybutton?

Susietri said...

Loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing.