Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Want To See It?

I know, I know...I've been very self-indulgent in my blogging about the vintage bike thing.  But, this post is different...I purchased!

First, a little music to take you back to a simpler time about 35 years ago:

On Saturday morning, my daughter and I took a road trip to check out this vintage bike.  It is sad that a bike from 1975 is considered vintage.  I was 10-years-old then.  Here's the Schwinn catalog cover from 1975.  It even has people riding in Arizona...must be a sign.

The bike is a Schwinn Collegiate 1975 model (built in October, 1974).  It has original paint, gears, everything, except a replacement seat and new tires.  Here it is:

I love it because, unlike the more common Schwinn cruisers of the 50's and 60's (which are very common collector bikes now), this bike was built for an adult.  Before the early 1970's, most bikes were really built for kids.  I'm 6'4", so I needed a taller bike.  This works for me.  I also love the chrome and the original chain guard, etc.  . 

I will add an authentic Schwinn chrome light to it and a rack to the back, so that I can use it to go the grocery store and for local errands.    Given that I am only riding it on the bike paths and sidewalks of my very quiet neighborhood, I am not going to wear a helmet and definitely, I will wear no stretchy pants on this bike.  In fact, I should only wear tie-dye when I ride this.

I still know that my HUCC-B bike fits me better, rides more efficiently, etc., but this one definitely has got some cool vintage style to it that I could not pass up for the price.  It would have been fun at Tour de Fat and I will seek out more bike-fun events with it!

As for the week, Samson and I rode about 18 miles on Sunday and I rode 14 miles yesterday with my wife, then ran 2 miles last night.  I will try to get in more mileage tonight, because I have 68 miles to go before Sunday night.  Should be fine.

Rock on with your bad self.

Big Clyde

13 comments:

TJ said...

sweet ride! :)

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Beauty! I'm thinking spandex flares and you need to grow a mustache. Maybe for Movember?

Megan said...

I love it and I bet it'll look better once you're on it with tie-dye. :) My BF has a Schwinn Suburban and loves it, but it's a lot more rusty than your new ride. Have fun!

Diana Tries-A-Tri! said...

OH it's a beauty! Love the cherry red!

Luke said...

B-e-a-u-ti-f-u-l bike!!

Andrew Opala said...

Love it!

Patrick Mahoney said...

I think it needs a 60mm carbon wheelset...

She's a beauty for sure

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Love it! Can't believe that's original paint... someone took good care of that for you!

pinkvision said...

Tie-dye ride! Excellent.

Ann (-22 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Groovy!! Congratulations!

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

COngrats! Very cool

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

I love your commitment to different clothing, appropriate to the bike. Congrats, I know you'd been looking forward to this.

Victorian inn bed and breakfast said...

Everyone says this is real music and it is and even kids like it, it is timeless and will be around for ever meanwhile we have this new era crap not many people care for and know to be shit hateful crap that is demeaning to women and other factions of people.