Thursday, November 11, 2010

El Tour is 9 Days Away

A year ago, I was so obsessed with El Tour de Tucson, my 35-mile first cycling race.  I would like awake at night wondering "would I finish?"  I realize now that I was far more prepared than I thought at the time.  I am generally confident in so many areas of my life, but I have never been confident in athletics.  Being overweight for most of my life and not too interested in sports can foster that lack of confidence. 

The El Tour 2010 race is 9 days away and I have exercised more in the past year than I have in 20 years.  In January of 2010, I set goals for the year and stated that I would do the 66-mile El Tour route, unless "one of my kids or my wife wants to do their first race on the 35 mile route. I'd love to do that with them".   I see now that I could have signed up for the 109-mile route this year and completed it.  I am so proud to be riding the race this year with my son, Samson.  He is nervous now about the 40-mile route, but he knows that he can do it.  I am guessing that this accomplishment will give him great confidence at this early age and show him that he can do difficult things in life.

Samson and I will get in one long ride this Saturday and then just do a few short rides around the neighborhood during the next week before the race on the 20th.

But first on Saturday morning, we will attend the Greater Arizona Bicycling Association's Bike Swap.  I am looking forward to looking for some old vintage stuff for my old Schwinn Collegiate.  I also am looking forward to meeing John from One Speed: Go!, a very cool blog about cycling in Arizona.  Coffee Cart at 8:30, John!  See you there.

P.S.  Since the beginning of this year, my wife and I have been involved in a pretty challenging project that has nothing to do with cycling, fitness, etc.  I have referred to it at times, but the details would be tedious to share at this point.  This "project" has required hours per week of meetings, long discussions and has robbed me of many hours of precious sleep.  It has been a bummer, but we have stuck with it to "close it up well".  It all ends on 11.28.10 and I am looking forward to both of us having more time for family, and yes, The Clydesdale Project.

12 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

Allez!!, Samson and Clyde, Allez!!

Moving Mertle said...

WOOOO! You have so many followers here, I'm sure you'll have just as many people following behind during the race. :) Yay for you and Samson! I've just been reading about this and I can't believe it's here already. Way to go guys! Any pre-race fun? Carb loading with a night out to Olive Garden? :)

spunkysuzi said...

Can't wait to hear how the ride goes!! I'm rooting for both of you :)

TRI714 said...

Its going to be an awesome day of joy !!

William Hanson said...

Good job sticking with your exercise program this year... and best of luck in your upcoming race.

TJ said...

Thanks so much for your comment! :) The bike tour sounds like a lot of fun and I love that you bike with your family! So cool!

John Romeo Alpha said...

See you Clyde! And good luck!

chaco said...

I like this line from your blog...

"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise." - Fezzik

Fizz said...

You and Mini You will rock it! It's gonna be a great day for us all.

Can't wait to celebrate with Mexican food after - we'll deserve it!

Raegun said...

I'll be cheering for you both! Enjoy the adventure!

Thomas said...

Good luck and have a great race!

Miss S. said...

What a difference a year makes my friend. I always feel extra proud for you when you mention getting your son involved. I know being a good example is a huge reason to get & stay healthy.