Thursday, November 18, 2010

I Like to Think I Like to Run

In my day job, I am basically a salesman (no haters, please).   It provides me a good living and allows me to provide food, shelter and cable tv for my family.  But my job is basically to persuade people.  I am pretty good at it.

Over the past week or so, I realized that I have become comfortable with my current workout routines.   I tend to be going the same distances (with a few recent exceptions).  So, I recently decided that I would challenge myself by committing to run a 10K race on January 23rd.    My longest distance has been exactly 5K in 34:15.  It was difficult, but did not kill me.

I went out last night for a quick run before I did the packet pick-up for Saturday's El Tour race.  I didn't have much time, so I thought I would have fun with a short 2 mile run.    After all, I've been blogging about running more over the past week and I've liked the excitement about my new challenge.  I persuaded myself that I am going to love the new running gig.  I told my wife that I may even do that half-marathon in late March.  She said nothing and raised one eyebrow.  Then, I went running.

But the running was kinda hard.  It was my first run in about 10 days.  I felt fat.  I felt lumpy, slowly plodding along.  Slow.  People might chuckle if they saw me from inside their nice houses.  This was not fun.  It sucked.  Slow.

But I did notice that my chest no longer seems to have a lot of fat on it.  Skin, a little muscle and bones...very different from six months ago.  And I was after all, running...an activity that I would have thought I would never do just 18 months ago.

I hoped my mental image of me, running, would have carried over to my run last night.  I persuaded myself that running is awesome and that I would just glide.   Looks like I don't like running yet.  I guess I will have to log more miles before that feeling comes. 

Such a battle, but I am going to win.  As I have said before, hope is not found on the couch.

Big Clyde

12 comments:

TRI714 said...

BC - I have little advice in the grace and glide department. All I can tell you is to keep running. Keep extending your distances and stay consitant. I honestly don't know what I would do If I couldn't run for 10 days.
Probably water arobics :-O, it seems to work for some.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

I bet it just takes you a little while to get back into a groove. And I know you could smoke a half by March... for sure.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

It's great that you have persuaded yourself that running is awesome! Keep up the good work and, when the running sometimes sucks, and it will, think those positive thoughts again. You've come a long way, baby!

Megan said...

I think you're a HUGE step ahead of everyone that wishes they can run. You want to love running and with that passion, it'll become easier and more enjoyable quicker.

RockStarTri said...

Every time I run I need to persuade some body part that it actually likes to run. Sometimes I'm more successful than others...

Raegun said...

I can totally relate! I distinctly remember a conversation I had with a few friends in the spring. We were talking about goals and I plainly stated "I want to learn to like running". Yup - I had to cross that 'goal' off the list before I could even consider beginning to try it! 6 months later and I still barely like it. Love the effects...just not the actual motion. Is that weird? Ha ha.

wendyinjapan said...

Back in the spring I was doing the C25K training and had almost completed it when I got a new job which drained my energy and I quit running. Recently my job situation changed and I`ve been getting out walking again and I think I want to start slowly getting back to running again. I`ll just have to persuade myself that I like it :)

Christina said...

Do a few slow runs, and you just may fall in love! Once you fall, you'll love everything about it! Miserably pushing yourself to a PR is one of the best feelings ever. You love it, you love it!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Dude, your attitude is so could that ALL this stuff is going to fall into place.

Patrick said...

It doesnt take me too many days off to feel lumpy and plodd-like either. Momentum is such a big deal it seems. But rebounds are quick i find, that first time after time off is that way, the next or the next and right back where I left off. Memory muscle sort of thing i believe.

Have a Great weekend!

Greg Kopp said...

I've noticed that I dont like running... I like the feeling I get knowing that I ran, and that is usually what keeps me going. I know that I have fallen off the running wagon recently but I know that I am going to get back on and ride it even further!

Luke said...

I am withyou, I don't love running I just convince myself I like it, but the physical rewards are great (just like you described) so I keep convincing myself.