Saturday, November 6, 2010

Make The Time to Ride/Run/Walk

Sadly, a friend of our family passed away recently and because of the funeral today, I did not run in the planned CatWalk 5K.  Rest in peace, Joe.   

But I did get in a 2-mile run this morning before the funeral and an 18-mile bike ride after the service.  The run was very short, but I was glad to get something in.  I'm going to try to do 4-5 runs per week.  Even if I am tired because of work or cycling.  Even if I eat badly throughout the day and don't feel up to it.  That is the plan and I will be tracking it, at least this month.  Let's see how it goes.  Please check out my mileage log on the right and comment if you see me slipping.

One thing that impresses me about many of you bloggers is your stamina (or time management) to be able to do extensive workout sessions.  To do a 40-mile bike ride, would require about a 3-hour time commitment for me.  With other commitments on the weekends, chores, time with my wife and three kids and some social stuff, it is challenging to get that in...but I will work toward it.

So, instead I find that I am looking for any opportunity to do a workout, even if it is brief.  Over the past week, I've ridden my bike the grocery store (3 miles round trip?) and to a small party with friends on Friday night.  My family is used to it, but it still seems a bit weird.  We left at the same time at a dark 6:30pm.   They drove and I rode.  They got there in 5 minutes.  I got there in 20 minutes.  A 20 minute bike ride barely seems like exercise to most people, but I suppose it's better than nothing. 

What steps have you taken to make sure you get a workout into your schedule?

Big Clyde

9 comments:

Jayme said...

I rode my bike to work (5ish miles one way) over the summer. It was rough becuase I'm required to wear a full suit including jacket. I'm able to have access to a locker room and I can store my jackets and shoes there but I'm scared to ride in the dark and rain, so those days are over. While 5 miles here and there isn't much, it sure adds up.

Ann (-28 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Clyde, those short little sessions of exercise all add up! You are doing great, and I love your attitude. KEEP IT UP!!

I'm sorry for your loss of Joe.

xx

The Traveler said...

I wanted to thank you for your great idea about the Throwdown Challenge. Travis and I following your lead. Check it out here:

http://trekto99kilos.blogspot.com/2010/11/day-140-throwdown-challenge.html

Megan said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. I try to squeeze in light workouts by walking everywhere. Luckily I can walk to the store and downtown, so if I can't get in a run, at least I'm moving and burning some calories.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Given your schedule, you're getting in a ton of exercise. I struggle with this, too, but the two things I've done that help are taking my bike to family outings on the weekend and riding home and playing sports with my kids, such as a rousing family game of two hand touch football today.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Finding the time is hard. Marathon training is taxing my schedule way too much (which is why I doubt I'll do another anytime soon). I am fortunately blessed to be a stay-at-home mom and I get my weekday workouts done in the morning after I drop 2/3 of my kids at school. The weekends are really really hard though, especially since my husband also likes to get in tennis.

LauraLynne said...

I am definately a time challenged person - full time job, hour (each way) commute, 2 teenagers, and a part time job keeping books for my husband's shop. But I make time - here and there - and the people in my life know that sometimes I am just not available for whatever...in October I was TOO busy though - so I've modified my schedule for November - most days are just one workout, but it will be longer. A little less coordination (pool times and bike riding times are very limited) but I'm determined to make it work.
I definately get less internet and sleep. But I find that to be an ok exchange..

Patrick said...

Sorry to hear of the loss of a family friend.

Yes, exercise whenever you can fit it on. Whether brief or long, get it done. Don't waiti for when the ideal time, duration, alignment of Saturn with Uranus is there; you will seldom exercise if you do.

Have a great week!

Travis C said...

Exercise requires a lot of planning. I have had to readjust my exercise schedule many times thanks to changes in work or life. The key thing is that if life gets crazy and you happen to miss a workout, don't give up all together. That is the hardest part.

-Travis C.
http://finallyairborne.blogspot.com
1 YEAR - 100 POUNDS - 1 MARATHON