Saturday, November 13, 2010

A New Milestone (literally)

What an awesome day! 

We started early at the GABA Bike Swap.  It is a cross between a garage sale and a cyclists' cocktail party at 8am, held twice a year, but this is the big one.

I went with my family, but I split off quickly to meet John from One Speed: Go!  It was the first time for both of us to meet another blogger.  It was very cool.  John was nice enough to buy me a cup of coffee and we talked about the types of cycling we both do.  He takes great pictures along his rides and simply encourages people to "get up, go ride", regardless of your fitness level, type of bike or terrain.  Just get out there, get moving and see the world around you.  It is a beautifully simple idea and his pictures demonstrate it well.  Please check out his site at the link above.

Then, we came home and Samson and I went for his longest ride ever.  He rode 30 miles!  In recent rides, he told me that he was questioning if he could complete the 40 mile ride on race day.  By completing 30 miles today, I think he now knows he's got this.  I am so proud of him!

Then, I wanted to also achieve a personal best.  I had ridden only 36 miles before on a ride (a year ago) and I have noticed lately that I keep holding myself back mentally, by being too cautious (I guess that's where Samson gets it).  So, after Samson and I finished the 30 miles, I continued on for another 10 miles, giving me a 40-mile-ride today!  Could I have gone another 20?  Yeah.  Another 30?  Yup.  The ride would take hours and hours, but I see now that I can do bigger mileage distances. 

And yet...though I really like riding my bike, I don't like doing almost anything for 4-6 hours.  Instead, I think that after El Tour, I'll start to put more focus on running for awhile.  I've done a 5K (and have a few more scheduled), but I'd really have to get in some conditioning to do a 10K, or a half-marathon.  Hmm...

Big Clyde

14 comments:

Christina said...

Nice job today!!! 40 miles!! I'm so proud of Samson, too! You two have got this. There are going to be lots of pictures for us to see after the race, right?

10k is a great distance! Focusing on running for a while sounds like a great idea! It's at the very least a great way to cross train. When is your next 5k? If you have any running questions, feel free to call on me!

That reminds me... You're my go-to bike guy. Can you recommend a good bike rack? My old one had a bad habit of scratching paint off my old car. I just got a new car, and I'm afraid to put the old bike rack on it! Ram and I haven't been biking in a while as a result (we live up a hill, and I am so not taking the bike trailer up or down any hills!). I don't have a trailer hitch or anything nifty on my car, which is a hatchback by the way. Anyway, do you have a brand or model recommendation?

Patrick Mahoney said...

As Greg LeMond said (and I think I am sort of paraphrasing) "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster". Or longer in this case. Clearly all your work is paying off and the long rides of today could very well be the short rides of the future. That's the exciting part, working towards bigger and bigger goals.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

When you go for something, you go all the way in!!! 40 miles is an awesome achievement. I think a half marathon is completely on your radar... maybe you're a triathlete in the making??? Congrats on your huge achievement and Samson's...

spunkysuzi said...

Wow both you and Samson are kicking it up a notch!! I'm impressed!

Ann (-28 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Wow, fantastic job, both of you! I'm so very proud of you, to break through those mental barriers. You CAN do anything!!

This was a wonderfully uplifting post to read at day's end. Very cool ...

John Romeo Alpha said...

Great to meet you today. I hope you found some good stuff at the swap. It was a great day in Tucson!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Big Clyde, again you are showing the way. Love your confidence on the bike and look forward to seeing you pull out all the stops and hit the century mark one of these days, if Samson doesn't beat you to it.

Also, glad to see your P.S. on the last post.

Caratunk Girl said...

WOW that is awesome Clyde (and Samson!)!! Congrats - you have come a long way - I bet you remember a time the thought of 40 miles was kind of mind boggling!

Also, I like your reflection at the end - balance is a good thing, and we all prefer one sport over another, that is for sure. Maybe use the bike as cross training for running.

RockStarTri said...

Great job.

The reason why I got into triathlons was that cycling consumed so many hours. You (both) will rock El Tour. Think of me when you are flying down Tangerine!

Megan said...

Congrats! 40 miles is a LONG way to ride. Those milestones are key and feel so great when they are done.

Miss S. said...

Two milestones met! Awesome. I have got to set some goals. Thanks for being inspirational Clyde.

Raegun said...

An awesome day indeed, Clyde. It sounds like Samson is teaching you a thing or two about pushing yourself toward new feats!

Patrick said...

What a ride that must have been. Milestones are meant to grabbed and then tossed back out there to be had again. Well done!

MrsFatass said...

Wow, what a ride! And I love the link. Kind of how I felt about walking - just get out and GO and take a look around - I love the idea of just getting on and starting to peddle.

Awesome ride this weekend, for both you and Samson.