Sunday, November 21, 2010

Quick El Tour de Tucson Re-Cap

He did it! 

My boy, Samson, who turned 12 years old about a month ago, rode the El Tour de Tucson ride with me on Saturday.  Our friend Crazy Jim joined us as well.  My younger son, my daughter and Mrs. Clyde were there alongside the race route cheering us on along with Luis, one of Samson's friends.
Me, Samson and Crazy Jim before the race.

I'll write more in a day or so, but here are a few highlights:
  • The two hills that were supposed to be very tough, weren't tough at all for my boy.  I could see the pride and determination on his face as we passed grown-ups who were walking their bikes uphill, as we pedalled.  He was the little engine that could, throughout the entire race.
  • 
  • We went at a relatively slow pace, largely due to the constant 17-22 mph headwinds that we fought.  It resulted in a lot of time in the saddle, but he never gave up.
  • Samson found a nemesis early on...a girl from his class that he says "is not very nice"...we saw her throughout the race, but he beat her by a clean ten minutes!  Sorry, Kelsey.  Train harder next year.
  • I asked him what was the most unusual thing he saw on the race?  He said "all of the people lying on the side of the road, crying", (likely the road warriors who were doing the 109-mile route!).
  • Best highlight?  I think it had to be the simple accomplishment of a big goal for him and a close second would be that one of his friends was there, cheering him on.  This was one of the buddies who told Samson that he would never finish this race a few months ago!
  • Finally, Crazy Jim also finished.  Remarkable given that he did NO training for it whatsoever and rode a total of 25 miles in the past 7 months.  We were there waiting with the family as he rolled in a few minutes behind us.  Lesson?  More training = less pain.
That might be the re-cap, but I'll post again to discuss plans for next year for El Tour (we are dreaming big) and my thoughts on how 40 miles felt for me in 2010 vs 2009...a world of difference.

Thank you all for the encouragement toward me and more importantly, Samson.  He rocked it and read every comment that you all wrote.  My life changed when I first entered this race in 2009 at age 43.  Samson's life changed by doing the same race at age 12.  This was an amazing weekend!

Big Clyde

16 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

That's very cool, BC. And congrats to Samson - sounds like a natural climber! Looking forward to the details.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

What a great story Clyde. So proud of Samson and I'll pass that on to my boys. Hope Kelsey doesn't read the blog! ;-)

Look forward to reading more.

The Traveler said...

Nice job, brother. Keep on peddling.

wendyinjapan said...

Way to go Clyde! I hadn`t read enough lately to realize Samson is your son, congrats to him too! I think it`s so cool that you guys could do a race together. Looking forward to hearing more!

Matty O said...

Awesome job guys! There is always a great determination at beating a fellow class mate haha.

Amazing how far you have both come in the past few months here.

Keep up the good work man. It will keep getting easier, I promise!

Raegun said...

Good job, Team Clyde! I love that you and Samson were able to train together for this race and it's even better that you finished smiling and defeating a few rivals along the way. ;)

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

This made me a bit emotional... something fantastic about children learning healthy habits and aspiring to be like mom and dad's good examples. Congrats Clyde and Samson... way to go!!! That is a lot of miles!!! Do I hear a 5K run on the horizon for Samson?

TRI714 said...

That is so cool, in so many ways. He will build off that ride for so many things to come in his life.

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Congrats to you and your son! What an awesome job!

Fizz said...

Well done all of you! I'm one of the few people lucky enough to have met Samson in person and it's no wonder he can do great things.

He has a spirit in him that is so amazing. Apples don't fall far...

Congrats, and I think there's a very good chance you will see Fizz next year.

Never. Give. Up.

spunkysuzi said...

Great job for both of you!! You did it and you did it with style and grace :)

RockStarTri said...

Great job samson dragging your dad up and down those hills!

Samson said...

Thank You all so much! It was worth it to see my dad so happy and no to tired at all, while i felt pretty tired i'm so proud of my dad, Big Clyde!
~Samson, The Mountain Goat

Megan said...

Way to go to you BOTH! I could have never ridden that far when I was 12.

pinkvision said...

Well done, Big Clyde and Samson, you pair of cycle power-houses!

MrsFatass said...

Wow! Awesome job for BOTH of you! No way would I have been focused enough to do that at Samson's age. Feel me giving you a big pat on the back!