Monday, November 1, 2010

Returning from my Food Vacation!

Mr. and Mrs. Clyde, on vacation in 1990
Oh, hey!  I'm just getting back home...you see, I (somewhat) intentionally took a "food vacation" for the past 7 weeks.  It was more like a "stay-cation"...you know, one of those vacations where you don't really travel too far from home, but you basically just do whatever you want...no stress, no responsibilites, no real limitations.

Yeah, so I was on a "food vacation" like that since September 6th.  Prior to that, I was very disciplined about what I ate since March 1st of this year.  I counted calories and averaged about 1,700 per day.   I had some off weeks, but was pretty consistent and lost a lot of weight.  I got to my lowest weight in about 12 years on September 5th. 

Good times. 

Then, I chose to throw it on autopilot and focus on other things.  I increased my exercise, but quit counting calories and allowed myself to eat more moderately.  I had nachos and pizza.  I drank a few beers.  I had some chocolate and (weirdly) a lot of gummi bears.  I even had a few donuts.  Before you wag your finger at me, please...don't.  I'm not interested in a lecture and I'm not ashamed.  I ate some higher-calorie food, it was tasty and I gained a few pounds back.  No big deal.

It is no big deal, because I've learned this year that I will always enjoy some nachos, some chocolate and some beer in my life and I am learning to do it in rare moments and some moderation.  Most importantly, I have learned that if I am going to indulge now and then, I also have to buckle down and work it off.  All of us get away for awhile while we focus on other things...then, we come home and get back to it..

This is that time for me.   I feel like I am returning back "home" to some disciplined healthy eating habits and leaving my "food vacation" days behind.  By the way, the food vacation was fun and I did not travel too far from my healthy habits.  You know what they say about vacation spots:  "nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there".

I'm back home now, where I reside at 1,700 daily calories.  Time to lose those recently added pounds, keep my cycling miles up and continue onward with The Clydesdale Project. 

Big Clyde

12 comments:

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Now that is a healthy attitude. I think keeping that viewpoint is exactly what will keep you on track.

Just curious... does Mrs. Clyde eat the same meals as you... or do you end up fixing yours "special" when you cut back to the 1700 calories?

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Agree, have no shame. Just please, please call the Gummi Bear addict hotline. Gummi Bears are a gateway drug to many other forms of gummis. Seriously, glad you've recognized your need to refocus and are getting back on track.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Don't think I don't see those sweet sandals with socks in your vacation picture. Now THOSE are good times. Don't trip, live life, eat some Nachos, ride your bike, etc...

Ann (-25 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

You know you're getting old, when the "early years" photos start looking more like your own children ...

"I don't remember growing older, when did they?"

And yes, Patrick wasn't the only one to notice the dark socks worn with those sandals. Stylin' - as only grandpas can ...

KIDDING, Clyde, just teasing you a little bit.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Keep up the good work on your exercising. As for the food vacation ... just watch how many of your fellow bloggers go on "food vacations" over the Thanksgiving holiday! I doubt you'll be lectured. lol

What matters is how many actually return. Glad YOU are back!! Onward and downward ...

Miz said...

WELCOME HOME!!!!!!

back.

to the wagon :)
we saved you a spot.


MizFit

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Great attitude!

TRI714 said...

I think it is critical to stay flexible on food to some extent.I bust out some cake now and again, a chilli dog or two, a burger here and there. I just know I have to work a bit harder to stay level or drop weight.
Man it can't be chicken and ground turkey or fish all the time. Well I guess it can, my wife cooks pretty clean. But Hey, I like me some mindless food sometimes.

Jarrett @ "PaddlePedalPlod" said...

I love your analogy! You're not going to get any criticism from me! It takes a lot of discipline to eat healthy, and it helps to allow yourself some leeway...that said, personally I need to give myself less leeway!

spunkysuzi said...

Always good to be back from vacation :) I was on vacation yesterday.

Raegun said...

What a great picture! Welcome back from your staycation - I think you have the perfect attitude towards it all.

Patrick said...

That saddle is still warm, get back in it and ride forward. It is okto get off here and there, but just don't put the saddle up somewhere out of reach. You look good in it after all.

transfer america said...

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Keep up the good work on your exercising. As for the food vacation ... just watch how many of your fellow bloggers go on "food vacations" over the Thanksgiving holiday! I doubt you'll be lectured.