Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Training for 10K Begins

I am very excited about the training that I will be doing for the upcoming 10K in late January.  This will be the first time that I will run consistently.  I have had weeks over the summer and early Fall, when I would run 2-3 times per week (and cycling), but then would be off for a week or two.  What will happen when I actually train for five days a week?

Me and my boy!  Nice moustache, no?

Week 1 involves three runs, two cycling days, a rest day and a stretch/strengthen day.  Yesterday, was the stretch/strengthen day.  I had fun playing on the floor with my boys.  I'll get more disciplined with weights in future weeks, but last night, I lifted Cuppa Joe (my 9-year-old) above my head about 10 times.  Fun for both of us.

I ran with my daughter last week and I am going to get the whole family out this Saturday for a bike ride.  I have asked all of them to keep me accountable by crossing off my training from the schedule posted in our kitchen cabinet.  Is it still called "peer pressure" if it comes from family?

I'm headed out now for my first run of this week.  2.5 miles.

Big Clyde

13 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

As always, keep it up. I believe.

Jayme said...

Pretty soon 2.5 miles will seem like nothing :)

spunkysuzi said...

Lifting cuppa joe for exercise is awesome!! What fun you guys have :)

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

You have this in the bag... no sweat! Especially after that awesome cycling... you have the fitness, now you just have to get the miles in.

wendyinjapan said...

Sounds like you have a good plan! I need to make a workout plan for myself as well. I`m signing up to do my first 5k at the end of February!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

I know how much you've been looking forward to running. Enjoy!

Clive Chapman said...

Well done on the commitment there mate!

Matty O said...

Right on!!! That is a huge goal for you! I hope that all goes well and you stick to it. You will rock it!

I love that you keep the family involved with your transformation, you are teaching them solid life lessons.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Just like you got comfortable cycling, stick to the plan and the running will come.

Ann (-34 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

It will be fun to watch your progress, Clyde! And I think it is terrific to involve your family. The kids are learning, along the way, how important physical exercise is to good health. Hey, just make sure none of them shouts out, "Run, Forrest, run!" ... it is hard to breathe properly while laughing. :)

Jessica said...

Congrats on upping the running! What training plan are you using?

Raegun said...

How was the first run, Clyde?
I gave you a shout-out on my blog. Please pop by and let us know how you did with the Throwdown. :)

The Traveler said...

Do you have any sort of a goal? I go off in 9 days and I am just hoping for two three things: (1) I would like to finish in 90 mins (I am very slow); (2) I don't want to be dead last (newbs run 5Ks - serious runners are in 10 Ks - I have no business there); and (3) I don't want to get lapped on this weird course (which is almost inevitable).

Good luck,Fezzik. From one Clydesdale to another.