Sunday, December 5, 2010

The 5 Mile Run

A Running Clydesdale!
I did it!   Thanks to many of you for the advice and encouragement.  I used the Galloway "walk break" method and with a 5 minute warm-up, did a 4:1 run/walk interval.  I completed it in 62:30, which was actually faster than I thought I would do, especially with the walk breaks. 

My training plan is the Hal Higdon 10k Novice plan and I just completed week 1.  That only called for a 3 mile run for today's "long run".  But in honor of my 45th birthday yesterday, my wife suggested that I try some stretch goal.  5 miles is the longest I have ever gone for a run, so I guess it qualifies.  I will likely stick to the training plan from now on.

Again, thanks for the inspiration and advice, my friends.  I am very grateful to all of you.

Sincerely,

Big Clyde

8 comments:

James said...

What a great birthday accomplishment! Nice job, Clyde!

Diana Tries-A-Tri! said...

You look so graceful in that picture!

Nice work on the run, I love Hal's training plans!

RockStarTri said...

Nice...

Ann (-35 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Impressive! It will be fun to watch you progress, Clyde!

spunkysuzi said...

Awesome!!

The Traveler said...

Sweet times. You are faster than I am. Remind me not to race you! (Probably feels pretty good to hear that, eh?)

Jessica said...

Great job!!!

Luke said...

Great job and happy birthday. I have uysed several of the Hal Higdon plans. I would caution though if are using to get to the day training for an event. It is a little weak on the taper side.