Tuesday, December 14, 2010

They'd Be So Surprised...

My co-workers and friends have noticed that I have lost weight over the past nine months.   Many of them even know that I have ridden in a few bike races...and that I was grateful to just simply, finish the race. 

And although I have been running a bit since May, I have  been very inconsistent.  Until recently...

I knew that I needed a new big challenge to motivate my fitness activity.  I could have gone for more distance on my bike, but that would just mean a lot more hours out on long rides.  So, I decided to run a 10K in January and a half-marathon in March.  I've told almost no one except my family.

I don't look like I run...my friends and co-workers would be so surprised. 

I am starting to wonder:  how many miles per week does the average jogger/casual runner actually run? 

I've logged in 10 miles per week for the past two weeks and I'll do that again (or more) this week.  I am actually ahead of the training plan, but think that it is going well, so I'll keep pushing it.  

And as I begin Week 3 of my training routine for the 10K, I am amazed at the improvement I see with each run.  I still feel slow, but I know that I am getting faster.  I am still heavy, but I am actually becoming more...umm, athletic.

I guess I can officially claim it...I'm a runner!   It seems so unbelievable to me, but I am actually going to run a half-marathon soon and it will be another step in this Clydesdale Project to change my life forever.

Tonight's run:  2.5 miles at an 11 min/mile pace.  That is one minute faster than I was a week ago!  My thanks to so many of you for the great advice!

Big Clyde

13 comments:

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Music to my ears. Welcome to the club, Clyde, even though I already considered you part of it.

Ann (-44 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

Wow, Clyde - that is a fantastic time! Congratulations ... and it is FUN to surprise people. Your heart has to be loving you about now. Keep up the good work!! A half-marathon, hey? Sheesh ... no kidding, that is a major goal! You can do it too!! I've learned, in reading you over these past many months, that once you set your mind to something, there is little that can stop you!

Patrick Mahoney said...

I agree with Lesley. I could tell you where committed from the first time I read your blog. And as far as I'm concerned, if you are committed to something you are a part of that something.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

An amazing transformation, Clyde.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

"I've told almost no one except my family." I guess that makes us family - thanks!

spunkysuzi said...

You are absolutely amazing!

Christina said...

I'm glad to hear your running is going so well! You sure are getting speedy, my friend!

You have come so far since March (when you got healthy - I know you started running in May).

Luke said...

great progress!

TRI714 said...

SO HAPPY to be part of " LA FAMILIA".
BC -give it up your a runner, face it. :-) !

pinkvision said...

Yay for becoming more athletic! Such a good feeling :)

Barbara said...

Yes, you are a runner! Congrats! I hope to be there someday. Right now, I am a run/walker. I usually average about 10-15 miles a week.
I can't wait until you surprise your coworkers with your running accomplishments in 2011!

memoirs of this binge eating triathlete said...

It's been awhile since I've been on your blog & I'm amazed by what you've accomplished!!!! Man you've progressed so quickly! Congrats man. You've done amazing in your transormation!!!

Kathleen said...

Way to go!