Sunday, January 16, 2011

6 Days Until the Sun Run 10K

Good news:  This afternoon, I'll go on my longest run covering 6 miles.  I know that marathoners don't necessarily train by running the entire 26.2 miles in training, but it is a bit of a routine for me.  Before any race, I like to complete the entire distance in a training session, regardless of my pace...it helps with my mental game on race day.

Update:  I just got back and it went great!  I took it easy and will try for a faster pace next weekend at the actual race.

Bad news:  I have lost NO pounds since I have been running.  I think it is due to three factors:
  • Increased running has also increased my appetite, so I have not been disciplined in counting calories.  I also am not having as much fruit and veggies.
  • My running mileage is decent and feels like quite a workout (about 11 miles per week) and I am doing two days of cycling for about 40 minutes per session.   But maybe daily runs would be more intensive?
  • I am also in week two of the One Hundred Push-Up Challenge.  With this work and my increased running miles, I can feel that I am getting stronger.  Can I attribute some of this to the "muscle-weighs-more-than-fat" theory that every newbie exerciser depends on?
The bottom line for me is this:  I wish I were losing weight, but I KNOW that I am improving each week in my running and it is good aerobic exercise, my legs are becoming strong and it requires less time for an intense workout than it would on my bike.    That was my intent when I committed to doing the 10K in December. 

If weight loss, were the only goal, I know how to do that.  1,500 - 1,700 calories per day, every day.  I have done that and been very successful, with very little exercise.  But it is not as fun as the workouts and I am just more in the mood for pushing myself with races, etc.  After this 10K, I will train for a half-marathon, which will require more mileage.  As I ramp up, I'll decide if/how I should adjust my nutrition or weekly mileage to accomplish some weight loss.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Big Clyde

6 comments:

spunkysuzi said...

No wonder you have an increased appetite your turning into a lean mean running machine!

J said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. This running thing is serious business, isn't it!

I read your past several posts. I was most impressed you RAN to the Mexican place! Love that!

Good luck with the race! My first is in Feb.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, it sounds like you're on the right track (no pun intended). Running strong (no pun intended). Taking your hurdles in stride (no pun intended). OK with the 10K. I'll be here all week.

Bruce said...

Great job completing the mileage! One thought on you calories, if you lost weight at 1700 calories with out exercising much, try taking on the extra calories that you are burning running and you will still lose the weight at the same rate (or even better since your metabolism will be amped up). That way you fuel your body for the workouts, but still lose weight at the same pace.

Al said...

Wow Clyde, you are doing fantastic. Keep up the great work!

RickGetsFit said...

Nice job on the run. I can't wait until I can even do a light jog - I'm stuck at walking at my size :)