Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

I am in a pensive mood, my friends.  

Looking backward at 2010, I can say very honestly that it was one of the most life-changing periods of my life.  These changes were all chronicled here on this blog.  A "clydesdale" is a cyclist or endurance athlete in excess of 200 pounds.   I am well above that marker, yet I made dramatic improvements in my Clydesdale Project by losing weight, competing in many races, inspiring a few friends and family to join in and even, discovering that I can run!

And yet, I feel like I ended the year on a somewhat disappointing note.  Though I had lost 50 pounds during a six month period, I chose to "relax" a bit and gained some back.  Though I maintained great mileage on the bike this fall and began running consistently in December, I did not run much at all over the past two weeks. 

I've lost some momentum and that is a tough way to roll across the finish line of December 31st.

Nonetheless, I am much stronger, lighter and more experienced than I was a year ago.  I am committed to running a 10K later this month and a half-marathon in March!  Beyond that however, I intend to use this year to work on consistency in my mileage and nutrition. 

How will I do that?   Well, that's a good question that I am trying to figure out.  I think it will be consistent monthly mileage goals that will exceed 2010 numbers and some revised weight goals.   I've been hit-and-miss and would like to be more consistent.

I welcome your suggestions as to how to bring my goals down to daily/weekly action steps.

UPDATE:  Just did a 7.3 mile ride around my neighborhood loop.  Very cold.  Warmer tomorrow for a run.
Happy New Year everyone!

Big Clyde

8 comments:

Scuttleboose said...

Happy New Year, Clyde! I am proud to have read about what you did this year, and you should be proud, too! Nothing like a brand new year to motivate us out of the Christmas Nutrition / Wellness Funk, eh? :) Good luck!

Debbie said...

Congrats on the bike ride. You are my motivation when it comes to riding my bike. I am up to 3 miles so I am working on it. Happy New Year.

spunkysuzi said...

Nice ride! Happy New Year to you and your family

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, it's been great getting to know you this year. Based on that, I know you'll be an even better success in 2011!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Happy New Year Clyde! First step is to forget the holiday blahs and start fresh.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Happy New Years

Joy said...

I just found your blog and I look forward to following your progress! Looks like you are doing a great job!! Keep it up!!

What worked for me, last year, was I made a list of the things I wanted to get done. Then I put about 10-15 items on my short term "Bucket List" (about a 3 month span). Then I posted the bucket list on my bulletin board and every time I got something done I'd check it off. As the months went by I would review the list and just made sure I got everything done. Then before the next quarter started I'd created a new list! It really worked for me! I did more things last summer than I had done in years!!
I'm working on my list for Jan - Feb right now!

Anyway I don't know if this is what you were looking for. Just an idea that worked for me!!

Keep focused!!

Neighbor Ted said...

Hmmm. What can I offer up for a suggestion? I can't move out of the neighborhood again, so you are on your own. How about this - why don't you hop on your bike and head out to NC to come visit me? You may be down a few lbs by the time you get here.