The race was today and it was awesome! It may take a day or two for them to post the official results online, but I clocked my time at approx 1:07:40! That is a 10:54 pace, which is much better than I anticipated.
Here are a few highlights:
- Personal Record for this distance! I ran this distance last week, but it took me 10 minutes longer.
- My goal was to finish in 1:12...approx 12:00 min/mile pace.
- My first mile was just about 10:00. Probably a bit fast for me.
- 2nd mile was about 11:00 and 3rd mile was 11:30. I started to slow it down, realizing that I was only halfway done and was already above my target pace.
- I don't have a Garmin GPS watch, so I gave up trying to tally my pace per mile at that point. but this means that the first 3 miles were done in 32:30 (which is a pace of approx 10:45).
- I believe that I kept that pace because my ending pace for the entire race was very close to that.
- Oh, and did I mention that I ran off course at mile #5 station to go pee? They had port-o-pottys and I had been wanting to go for about 20 minutes. I realized I would be able to improve my pace if I could duck into the blue space shuttle for about 30 seconds to off-load some of that hydration.
I do want to give some quick thanks here, given how important this day has been to me. My wife and kids believe in me and have supported me the entire way. I was so uplifted seeing them along the race route today and I love them so much.
I also wanted to thank all of you who comment here (and at my new obsession: the Endurance Athlete Project). I have tried this before...to list out specific bloggers who mean so much to me, but the list grows so long and I am always fearful that I might offend by leaving someone off the list. It also is a bit of work to "link" to everyone's sites. But given how much I have relied on some of you specifically with regard to today's race and my running activities in general, I wish to thank the following people:
Patrick Mahoney (Godfather of the EAP), Kovas, Christina, Tricia, Lindsay, Lesley, RockStar Tri, Scott, Travis, TRI714, Alan, Caratunk Girl, Matty O, Bruce, Raegun, Ann, Patrick at 199, Al (glad to have you back!), Moving Mertle, Megan, Jessica, 5KRae, The Turtle, Luke, SpunkySuzi, and RickGetsFit. Your expertise and encouragement kept me going when I otherwise would have quit. That is the absolute truth.
In a few days, I'll add some pics that the family took at the race. Can't wait to see them myself.
I hope everyone else is having a great weekend.