Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sun Run 10K - Race Report Highlights

On November 23, 2010, I wrote that I needed a new Scary Milestone Event.  Something that would force me to keep moving and be a stretch goal.  I declared that day that I would run in the Sun Run 10K race today.   Prior to this, I had only run in a 5K last September.

The race was today and it was awesome!  It may take a day or two for them to post the official results online, but I clocked my time at approx 1:07:40!  That is a 10:54 pace, which is much better than I anticipated. 

Here are a few highlights:
  • Personal Record for this distance!  I ran this distance last week, but it took me 10 minutes longer.
  • My goal was to finish in 1:12...approx 12:00 min/mile pace
  • My first mile was just about 10:00.  Probably a bit fast for me.
  • 2nd mile was about 11:00 and 3rd mile was 11:30.  I started to slow it down, realizing that I was only halfway done and was already above my target pace.
  • I don't have a Garmin GPS watch, so I gave up trying to tally my pace per mile at that point.  but this means that the first 3 miles were done in 32:30 (which is a pace of approx 10:45). 
  • I believe that I kept that pace because my ending pace for the entire race was very close to that.
  • Oh, and did I mention that I ran off course at mile #5 station to go pee?  They had port-o-pottys and I had been wanting to go for about 20 minutes.  I realized I would be able to improve my pace if I could duck into the blue space shuttle for about 30 seconds to off-load some of that hydration.
So, yes, my race could have been even faster if I hadn't spent some of it in "quiet time", but it could have made for some awkward finish line pics as well, if you know what I mean.

I do want to give some quick thanks here, given how important this day has been to me.  My wife and kids believe in me and have supported me the entire way.  I was so uplifted seeing them along the race route today and I love them so much. 

I also wanted to thank all of you who comment here (and at my new obsession:  the Endurance Athlete Project).  I have tried this before...to list out specific bloggers who mean so much to me, but the list grows so long and I am always fearful that I might offend by leaving someone off the list.  It also is a bit of work to "link" to everyone's sites.  But given how much I have relied on some of you specifically with regard to today's race and my running activities in general, I wish to thank the following people:
Patrick Mahoney (Godfather of the EAP), Kovas, Christina, Tricia, Lindsay, Lesley, RockStar Tri, Scott, Travis, TRI714, Alan, Caratunk Girl, Matty O, Bruce, Raegun, Ann, Patrick at 199, Al (glad to have you back!), Moving Mertle, Megan, Jessica, 5KRae, The Turtle, Luke, SpunkySuzi, and RickGetsFit.  Your expertise and encouragement kept me going when I otherwise would have quit.  That is the absolute truth.

In a few days, I'll add some pics that the family took at the race.  Can't wait to see them myself.

I hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

Big Clyde

20 comments:

RockStarTri said...

Great accomplishment! Well done.

Luke said...

GREAT JOB!!!!!! WE ARE ALL HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

Starting out fast isn't a bad thing, I have read many articles that show research about how if you start out slightly faster then you plan (10-12%), then even if you don't hold that pace you will hold faster pace for the rest of the race. Personally, I think it gets you more pumped and once the endorphins are kicking you push yourself harder.

AGAIN GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

What a rockin' pace and huge PR. I can't believe how fast you've worked back up on the running after a cycling-focused season. Keep it up... you have more in you. Wonder if perhaps there's a duathlon in your future???

oh_mg said...

That is incredible! Great job!!! :)

Megan said...

Great job! It's kind of funny that the race is called Sun Run when it's in the winter, but since you are in AZ (right?) I guess you can have sun runs all year round!

I'm so happy for you for how far you've come and how determined you've stayed. Keep it up and you'll go much farther than a 10K!

spunkysuzi said...

You smoked that race!! Even with a pit stop :) This is just the beginning.

Finding The Thin Within said...

Congratulations on your first 10K! Your time was great. Glad to see that you beat your goal. What will be next for you?

Tricia said...

Congrats!

I am so proud of you.

seriously proud, youre amazing!

The Turtle said...

That is so awesome! Congratulations. You have inspired me to work on my speed.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, this is really a marvelous accomplishment!!! You have grown so much and you are such a great role model for your kids. And without your "event" orientation, I wouldn't have signed up for The Big Climb, so thank you and congratulations!

Clive Chapman said...

Great job feller!

pinkvision said...

Well done, Clyde! Fabulous time!

Matty O said...

I knew you could do it! What a great feeling to have come all this way and you are crushing your goal times?!

Keep it up. Only a matter of time before you are placing :)

Jessica said...

WooHoo! You are a rock star :)

Susietri said...

High five!

Bruce said...

I have never been so happy about someone else's race! It just hit so close to home I guess! Great job Clyde!

lindsay said...

Congrats !! That is an excellent time - you really blew my guess out of the water :) I knew the race atmosphere would push you but you really dug deep!

GeorgiaSnail said...

Great job Clyde...found my way over here from P.o.P. - great blog!

Raegun said...

Congratulations Clyde! What a fantastic accomplishment. You are the king of setting and achieving goals. Well done!

Christina said...

Wow, wow, wow, Clyde! Awesome job! You should be incredibly proud of yourself. What an accomplishment! We are waiting for you to post those pictures.