Saturday, January 8, 2011

Thanks for the Encouragement

I am very grateful to all of you for your comments on my last post.  I was questioning if I should run the upcoming 10K if my pace might make me the last runner to cross the finish line. 

There was great wisdom in each comment and I have been thinking of them over the past few days.  I sent my registration in today and will do my best at the race.  Again, thank you very much for your encouragement.

I did a short 2-mile run today, then will do my 5-mile long run tomorrow. 

Most of our day was spent watching the coverage of the tragic shooting in Tucson today.  The shooting happened very near our house and we have friends who shop there regularly.  We are at that area almost every day, so this really hit close to home for us. 

There are 19 victims and at this point, 6 fatalities, including a 9-year-old girl, who went to the event to meet Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.  The girl was on student council at her school and her neighbor thought that the event would be interesting to her.  I have a son who is 9-years-old and is on student council (at a different school) and could just have easily been there.  This was a horrible tragic event and our family is grieving for all of the victims.

This was a tragic reminder that life is very short and we should use each day to encourage each other, show love to our families and friends and show kindness to everyone we come in contact with.

Big Clyde

9 comments:

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Well put, Clyde. Must be shocking to have something so awful happen so close to home. Senseless.

Patrick Mahoney said...

I saw that on the news. Very tragic. Hope the community gets through it stronger.

Anyway, Sorry I missed your last post. I would have said: Run the damn thing. Whatever happens will be fine but I can pretty much assume you'll exceed your expectations. You tend to do that when it comes to the clutch...

Scott said...

No words.

spunkysuzi said...

Unbelievable what happened! And so close to home. I'm glad that you and your family are o.k

I have no doubt that you can do the 10k. I know i walked a 5K before i had surgery for my leg and yes i was near the last but i have never felt so proud!

Caratunk Girl said...

Oh Clyde - I saw that on the news and it is just awful. How disconcerting it must be to have it so close by. I am thankful that you and your family are OK, but I am really sad for the families who lost someone. You are right, good reminder that life is short.

Oh a happier note - YEAH for the 10k! You are going to do awesome Clyde, you totally can do it. Hey, life is too short for regretting if you could have and what if - so I am proud of you for going for it! Cheering you on from Maine.

Jams said...

The shooting is absolutely awful. I'm glad your family is safe though and that you decided to register for the race. It's not about when you finish, it's about finishing at all.

John Romeo Alpha said...

One of my daughters is 9, and I can't even imagine. What a senseless, insane tragedy, and a terrible day not just for us Arizonans, but for everyone, when violence like this erupts.

Patrick said...

Encourage, Love Kindness; great words to live by!

fatty blogsticks said...

gosh, clyde, the shooting has been well covered in the news here. how shocking to be so close to it - must make it all the more real and frightening.

love and kindness x