Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's Next?

Thanks for all of the great comments about the race on Sunday.  It was a huge day for me and I am still enjoying the realization that I did it!

Now, what's next?  This is what I have been wondering since last Sunday. 

When I committed to the 10K, I also commited to running my first half-marathon on March 27th.  That may still happen, but I have been re-thinking it.  Kovas asked me (a few months ago) why I was committing to do these events?  Was it fulfilling a long-held goal or have I been around these races for awhile, always wanting to get in on the action?  Does "completing a race/distance" seem as fulfilling as developing a lifelong habit or more moderate weekly mileage? 

Good questions.

Here is what I know about myself:  I am more comfortable in a state of rest.  I always have been.  I honestly think we all should prefer comfort over sweaty exertion on some road somewhere.  Really, what's wrong with all of you athletic people?

So, given that I prefer to NOT exercise and that I love food, I must find some other psychological carrot out there to get me off the couch.  Self-esteem, better health, all overcoming new challenges all work for me, as long as I get to share the journey with others.  Glad to be on that journey with all of you.

So, I have been thinking that I will continue with my training plan for the half-marathon, which amps up my weekly mileage with 3 days of 3-4 mile runs, some cross-training on the bike and one long run on Sundays.   The mileage will grow slightly each week, but I think I can handle it.

Having said that, my main goal will NOT be the half-marathon.  Maybe I'll do it, maybe I won't.  Like Winnie-the-Pooh, I seem to be a "bear of very little brain" and I feel like I can only focus on one major goal at a time.   During the last two months, when I was training for the 10K, I ate whatever I wanted.  Not terribly, but not good.  Despite having run about 66 miles over 2 months, I still weigh the same, which is higher than I was last September.  How will I do on my next 10K, if I'm not sitting at 290 ?!?!

Therefore, my major goal ahead will be to drop the weight.  At least to get down to 275, (where I was last September).  That's 15 pounds and I'll do that by March 31st.  I'd be pretty happy to get down to 250 within this year, which would be a 40-pound drop.  I'll put some more timelines to it, to keep me on track. 

I'll lose the weight by posting it weekly, counting calories and sticking with the running miles for the half-marathon.  If I am eating better AND putting in the miles, the weight should fall off.  I just have to find some great go-to foods that can satisfy my increased appetite that comes with the running mileage.

Big Clyde

15 comments:

TRI714 said...

All good foo for thought. But don't get to a stray from that bike. It will help you get that weight down where you want it with a littleless trauma to your knees,hips,back etc.. Again great job. How about another 10k or even a 5k at a little faster BP ?

RickGetsFit.ca said...

You're right, counting calories and running should help the weight to fall off. Like @TRI714 said, just make sure your joints aren't getting pounded to much. Cheers, Rick

Kovas said...

Way to keep the big goal a possibility and make some little goals (?) to help you on your way.

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog.
Sounds like you are a lot like me. I run but don't lose weight and I'm not about to put my weight on my blog but it would be nice to know how to lose weight and still have energy left to workout. It seems it's one or the other for me.
Keep at it and I'm curious to see your plan. I think I need to come up with my own plan.

Jessica said...

I thinking sticking to your training plan is a good idea, I like having a plan. I am doing a 10 training plan though I am not sure I really want to run an actual 10k, the training schedule is good to have so I know what I need do to during the week without just coming up with it each day. Good luck losing the weight Big Clyde. :)

Miss S. said...

You got this. I would bet you can even beat your goal.

Thank you for your support the other day. You have no idea how much I needed it.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Add a sprint tri in there, will ya?

RockStarTri said...

WHAT? Commitments don't mean anything anymore? I'm sure people signed up for the half just to run with you. Prepare for the backlash when they find out.

Of course, you could still change your mind, crush the weight loss and rock the race.

Don't worry, we'll still be here to nag you.

Bruce said...

Your 10K was awesome! You did something I couldn't do at 290 and came close to my time. My training for the half after was a whole lot harder yet more rewarding at the same time. I learned so much about myself.

Losing weight is a great goal as well! It makes a huge difference not only physically, but mentally as well. Maybe losing weight first and then take on the next challenge (half or whatever motivates you).

I know you'll do well whatever you set your mind to do.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

This is a sound decision, Clyde. Best wishes...

Sam's Minions (aka parents- Angie and Brian) said...

Great decision.

On another note, whenever I see a picture of Andre the Giant, I remember a story that my dad told me about actually, literally running into him in the Pittsburgh airport. He was a very cordial and nice man (according to my dad).

Raegun said...

I commend you for your focus, Clyde. Good luck!
(and congrats again on the 10k!!)

dave said...

Congrats on the 10k! I check in from time to time and you're always checking something new off your to-do lists. Goals are great, but remember to relax and enjoy the journey too. I ride the bike because I enjoy it (and because it gives me a free pass to eat ice cream which I also like). Since I started losing weight I've been looking for the groove between eating & exercising I can maintain for the rest of my life while still living it. Keep up the good work!

Christina said...

Good plan, Clyde! If you want to lose weight, backing off the half training a bitmay help. The books I've read warn that training for an endurance event makes most people gain weight, not just because of the extra fuel required and the increased appetite, but also becase of sneaky things like increased blood volume. Anyway, I, too, have found that it's tough to lose while ramping up mileage. It sounds like you have a great action plan to make the pounds disappear again. Get to it! :)

cakeandteablog said...

I am in a similar position- I'm booked into a half marathon in 4 weeks for reasons I'm not entirely sure of... except that the fear gets me off my arse and exercising. You did a cracking 10k, and better food and more running is bound to yield some great results! x