Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!


Valentine's Day has taken on a broader meaning to me as I have grown older.  In the past 2-3 years, I've attended a few weddings and five funerals.  The funerals crush me.  They cause me to consider how grateful I am for the loved ones in my life.  I am so sorry to experience the loss of these friends/family and I grieve for their families as well.


So, on Valentine's Day, I am now grateful for my loved ones.  On the top of my list, I am grateful for my wife of 20 years and my three wonderful kids.  And I am also grateful the rest of my family as well, both local and those that live far away.


But I am also grateful for my friends, including so many of you.  It is a vulnerable thing, writing a blog about my weight and weaknesses.  There have been times when I have temporarily felt like giving up...you have propped me up.  I have lamented on how far I have to go...you have celebrated how far I have come.  Although we haven't met, those supportive and encouraging actions are true signs of friendship.  Thank you very much for that friendship.

So, on this Valentine's Day, who are you most grateful for in your life?

11 comments:

Kovas said...

Definitely my wife - she is definitely my greatest treasure, has given me 4 amazing kids and supports me even though I often don't deserve it.

Raegun said...

I am so grateful for my husband - he feeds my soul every day and I look forward to a lifetime of new adventures with him by my side.

Katy said...

What a great post. I feel the same way about the blog community. I'm most greatful for my husband who is always there to cheer me on and tell me I can make anything happen. Even if he has to tell me 564 times.

GeorgiaSnail said...

The gratitude I posess towards my wife cannot be accurately be conveyed with words. I am a better person because she is in my life.

Bruce said...

Like you my family is the center, but I have been opened up to new friends like yourself who have helped me in my struggles. Thanks Clyde!

Patrick said...

Great perspective Clyde. Man Dr phil better watch out as i feel you could one kick his ass and two take over his show and do a better job.

Enjoy the date w/ your wife and & cappucino dessert!

Adrienne said...

We should have Valentine's Day once a week I think. We shouldn't have to wait for a specific day to make sure the people we love know that we do. Thanks for your thoughts and being willing to share your journey. Funny thing about Life is that we are all in this thing together! Might as well make the best of it!

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Clyde I'm MOST grateful for my husband and kids, my BFF and all of the family and friends I am so fortunate to have. Great post.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Once again, you come through with the most apropos pic. Well played.

My wife, who deserved a post today, but I had just written 2000 words about procrastination. Guess I'm not the romantic!

And like you, I'm deeply indebted to my blogging friends.

lindsay said...

Hope you and your wife had a wonderful Valentines Day :)

Kim Ayres said...

As my daughter's birthday is on Valentine's day, the focus is always on her - especially as if she had been born in a different era, she would not have survived to be with us now (see post on my main blog)